PDA

View Full Version : Another Roof Problem

hdjohnson
2003-12-22, 10:32 PM
I have a roof that is a simple 1:12 gable roof. The problem that I'm having is that it slopes at a 5 degree angle from the front of the building to the back. I've tried to rotate it on the side elevation, but it doesn't work. What am I missing. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreaciated.

beegee
2003-12-22, 10:35 PM
Hi hd,

Can you post an image to give us something more to go with ?

Steve_Stafford
2003-12-22, 10:50 PM
Set a reference plane in an elevation parallel to the front/back slope. Then use an Extrusion type roof with your work plane set to this reference plane.

hdjohnson
2003-12-23, 04:47 PM
Okay, here's a simple file of the roof. I think Steve_Stafford's on the right path, but I can't get the extrusion to work. Any help I can get will be greatly appreciated.

Scott D Davis
2003-12-23, 05:27 PM
Here's a solution....there are probably other ways, but this is pretty simple:

In place family Sweep for the gable section of the roof at a 5 degree angle, and a void extrusion to cut out the shape.

I used the file you posted, using the ref plane to draw the sweep path along, and used the Pick took when creating the sweep profile to make the shape of the gable. The sweep path is a little longer than the needed roof, so that I could create a void to cut out the shape in plan of the roof.

See attached Revit 5.1 file, and that should help you figure it out.

hdjohnson
2003-12-23, 05:44 PM
Thanks Scott! That worked for me!

Steve_Stafford
2003-12-23, 06:09 PM
My answer was/is too glib, the extrusion roof won't let you "get" to the reference plane. Sorry, Scott saved the day!

Melarch
2003-12-23, 07:03 PM
I think what Steve had in mind was to create reference plane perpendicular to the roof extrusion shape you want to create (see Roof Slope Angle.jpg).

The set this as the working reference plane (see Set Work Plane.jpg). You will be asked to pick a view for editing the sketch (select west). The west view (see West View with Work Plane Displayed.jpg)

Now, in the Modelling Design bar select "Create" to create an extruded roof (Create Roof by Extrusion.jpg). Give the new extruded roof a name (default Roofs 1). Pick "Solid" from the Family Sketch menu. Select "Extrude" and OK to start sketch. Draw any reference planes for accurately drawing the roof extrusion shape Roof Extrusion Sketch-Reference Planes.jpg). Make sure you extend the extruded roof over your walls/model. Finish Sketch and Family (see 3D Roof Extrusion at Refernce Plane Slope.jpg) and Viola!

Melarch
2003-12-23, 07:19 PM
I haven't figured out how to attach or post multiple attachments. Anybody, help and I will send the other jpg's I listed in my recent post.

beegee
2003-12-23, 09:28 PM
Hi Mel,

You can only post a maximum of 2 attachments at a time.

For Information, the Allowed Extension Groups and their Sizes are :-

Adobe PDF -> Maximum Upload Size: 5 MB
pdf

Archives -> Maximum Upload Size: 1.5 MB
ace gtar gz rar tar zip

Documents -> Maximum Upload Size: 5 MB
ai doc dot ppt ps xls

Flash Files -> Maximum Upload Size: 5 MB
swf

Images -> Maximum Upload Size: 5 MB
gif jpeg jpg png tga tif

Plain Text -> Maximum Upload Size: 5 MB
c cpp diz h hpp txt

Revit Families -> Maximum Upload Size: 2 MB
dwf rfa rvt

Everyone has a 5Mb file attachment allowance. Files sometimes need to be cleared out of this folder to provide additional space. Click on you User Name ( not your profile ) and go the the Attacment Control Panel to do this.

Cheers.