PDA

View Full Version : Drafting Questions (was>(Stupid) Newbie Questions)

Andrew Dobson
2005-05-12, 07:58 PM
First of all, sorry for asking these questions but I have searched the forums and Revit help and still have no idea how to do them!

Problem one: Drawing Rectangles - Is it possible to enter sizing as you sketch (like in autocad where you can do @200,300 etc)? It is annoying drawing a random rectangle and then changing it afterwards.

Secondly, I dont seem to be able to draw lines in sections at all, it just asks me to pick a work plane and then switches to a different view. Why is this?

Thanks in anticipation

luigi
2005-05-12, 08:05 PM
Answer one...no question is stupid, just stupid answers... ;)

no easy way to draw the rectangle by typing, but you could set up, either grid, or there is something like a distance it will snap to (i.e. 1, 12, etc.) so it would snap every inch, or 12 inches, etc.

second, you need to draw detail lilnes, not lines....
Detail lines are found under the drafting section...lines are actually Model Lines, which follow the 3d rules...
Hope this helps...and hope my answer isn't stupid...

SkiSouth
2005-05-12, 08:38 PM
It is annoying drawing a random rectangle and then changing it afterwards.

Remember you are in Revit now. Revit is much easily changed than Acad, so sketching a box and then modifying gets to be much easier as you get use to it.

Use reference planes and lines! Force yourself to learn these working tools. They can and will make your job easier.

JamesVan
2005-05-12, 08:41 PM
Actually you can enter specific sizes if you need a square. Use the Polygon option instead of rectangle, choose four sides and set the 'radius' to half the size of the square. For a rectangle, I usually rely on the temp dimensions as shown:

J. Grouchy
2005-05-12, 08:45 PM
Depending on your zoom factor, you can usually get it close to - if not exactly - the size you want. Do you really draw that many rectangles?

Rhythmick
2005-05-12, 09:01 PM
When you draw your rectangles are you dimensioning them on the fly by left clicking over the blue temp dims and setting them before you move on?

It's quite fast to just place the opposite point of your rectangle at randum in the direction you want to go then simply set the y & x temp dims.