PDA

View Full Version : Family Upgrade Utility Failed to open document.

ctc
2005-05-14, 12:14 PM
Does anyone know why I receive the "Failed to open document" message when I try to upgrade my families to Revit 8?

luigi
2005-05-14, 01:26 PM
Does anyone know why I receive the "Failed to open document" message when I try to upgrade my families to Revit 8?I don't remember if it was you, but if not, there is somebody else having a problem.....is everything in your library NOT Read Only??? Just to make sure!!!

ctc
2005-05-14, 01:32 PM
Read only has been unchecked from all families.

bowlingbrad
2005-05-14, 04:09 PM
Check to make sure you don't have any backup files in there. I had some issues until I deleted all of the backup files.

ctc
2005-05-14, 06:15 PM
I purged all backup files before beginning.

Zig
2005-05-14, 10:03 PM
I find that not all files will update utilizing the bat file utility. Sometimes you can open up the file separately and update it and on the rare occasion sometimes there is something about the file that the latest version of Revit just can't deal with?

ctc
2005-05-14, 10:22 PM
Unfortunately, none of my family files updated.

Gadget Man
2005-05-15, 10:19 PM
If you are trying to update your family files with a batch updating utility and the first file on your list fails to update - all the following files will be ignored (the program terminates on the first encountered - "faulty" - one). Simply skip this file (remove it from the list in the "txt" file) and continue. You can always come back to this one later and do it manually ( open it yourself and save it in the new version).

The same applies if you happen to have a "faulty" file somewhere in the middle of the list.

I hope this helps...

Marek Brandstatter
2005-05-16, 06:11 AM
I have found the batch upgrade stops if you use special characters in file names ie. au.Level head Circular 01.50ΓΈ Arial.rfa
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=3552

pwmsmith
2005-05-16, 01:08 PM
Would someone please point me in the direction for the backup utility?

Marek Brandstatter
2005-05-16, 02:47 PM
The batch file converter can be found here...

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=18817 (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=18817&highlight=Upgrade)

david.kingham
2005-05-16, 04:38 PM
Craig, make sure you are dragging the Uprgrade_rfa.txt onto the revit icon and not the famlist_rfa.txt Don't ask why I have this advice lol, i felt pretty stupid when I realized what I was doing :)

iru69
2005-05-16, 05:07 PM
This might be obvious, but one bit of advice I would give if someone's having difficulties with the utility is to upgrade only a subfolder or two at a time rather than trying to upgrade the entire library in one go. It makes it easier to indentify problem files and you don't need to start over at the beginning if one of them fails in the middle.

Revit MEP DR
2009-08-10, 08:42 PM
Okay, might be a simple one here. I am trying to upgrade our library from 09 files to 2010 files. I keep getting the "filed to open file" error. None of them are read only, I even made a copy of all of them on my desktop to ensure it wasn't a network access issue. I can restrict it down to any one individual file, and still get the error. I am dragging the "famlist_rfa.txt" file...... Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
David Raynor

Steven Campbell
2009-08-10, 09:35 PM
Drag the "Upgrade_rfa.txt" on to the icon not the "famlist_rfa.txt". The "famlist_rfa.txt" is just a list of files, the "Upgrade_rfa.txt" is the script that references the file list.
I hope this helps...
Steve

Revit MEP DR
2009-08-11, 12:10 PM
Well that would make sense that I am not using the right text file. Attached is a screen shot of the results of running the Upgrade_RFA.bat. It does create a famlist_fra.txt, but I don't get the "Upgrade_rfa.txt". Where does it create that file?

Advice?

Thanks in advance.