PDA

View Full Version : Continuous footing dillema

pfrederico
2005-05-15, 04:04 AM
Hi there.

I'm trying to make a foundation wall with continuous footing. I'm using an in-place family (structural foundations) and I model a solid sweep for this. Is this good enough or do any of you use any other methods?

NOTE: yeah, I'm still on revit 7.0. I don't know, but from what I heard the new version seems to have a tool exactly for this...

beegee
2005-05-15, 04:42 AM
RB 8 does a nice basic footing easily and simply. There are issues with mitres of different types and with stepped footings.

If you're stuck on 7.0, try a wall or floor family for the footing instead of a sweep.

SCShell
2005-05-15, 01:51 PM
Hey there,
Quick v7 footing:
Place a level on your elevation or section view that represents the top or bottom of your footing and then pick a concrete wall (foundation) from the wall types.
Edit and duplicate (and rename) the wall to be 16" footing or something in the edit types dialog, under "structure". Then, in the instance parameters, set the wall to be placed by center of core, and set the level to be your footing level that you just added. in addition, set the height to be 8" (or whatever) if you have a bottom of footing level, or -8" if you have a top of footing level.
Go to a plan view and set it to "wireframe" and make sure the box above the screen displays that the wall will be placed by centerline.
If you have a continuous exterior wall, then just place the curser over one, tab through untill you get the centerline to highlight, press control and it should highlight all of the walls which are continuous. Place your footing and Voila!

Good luck
(I heard some talk at our group meeting, which included one of the factory engineers, about the new v8 structural continuous footings. It appears that they still need a little work to be really usefull. In the meantime, this method still works well!.)
Steve