PDA

View Full Version : stack wall : explode or leave alone?

Michelle Gibson
2005-05-16, 06:47 PM
I've posted a few times regarding interior and exterior complex stack wall joins. At this point, we can clean up some but not all. Are we better off to break up the stack walls so that we can do simple wall joins at each level where a wall type changes. We have exterior stack walls with three wall types meeting at a corner with an interior stack wall with three different wall types.

Simply put, if we break it up, will the wall joins work at each change in wall type for either exterior or interior?

cosmickingpin
2005-05-16, 07:05 PM
I think if you are doing something fairly simple and straight forward they might work well (residential stick built, uniform grade heights) and perhaps even save you some time, but for complex and complicated situations I have been burned each time with weird-*** behavior and strange relationships (stuff moving or disappearing) being formed between what I though were unrelated elements (Doors, Openings, windows Etc.) So for me they have been more trouble than they are worth. Strange errors, and being limited in editing wall profiles, oh and wall Joins, don't even get me started on wall joins in stacked walls, Wall sweeps acting funny (this was in 7.0 8 might be better) and so I have stayed away from them since my first attempt at using then.

I have been using curtain walls with walltypes as various panels and I have been kinda happy with it (especially with the massing tool, in which case everything is a curtain wall)

Can you actually "explode" them or do you need to convert it to a single wall, split it up and change types like we did back in the old days?