PDA

View Full Version : Reference Label

mgallin
2003-12-24, 03:46 PM
Does anyone know how to get the reference label to show on detail callouts. There is a label in the family for notes such as "sim." or "typ." but I cannot figure out how to get it to display on the sheet. I am sure I am just missing something simple?

cphubb
2003-12-24, 03:52 PM
The refrence label is a property in the Section/Callout Head. Type what you want displayed there. The property is called Reference Label

Chris

mgallin
2003-12-24, 04:09 PM
That much I figgured out. What I can't figure out is why what I type into the Reference Label Property doesn't display next to the callout on the sheet.

christopher.zoog51272
2003-12-24, 04:27 PM
That much I figgured out. What I can't figure out is why what I type into the Reference Label Property doesn't display next to the callout on the sheet.

It actually has to refer to another view... that is why it's a reference label. When you create the callout look at the options bar and check the box that says "ref this view"
and select the view that is similar. The reference label will appear next to the call out head with the detail number/sheet filled in.

Tobie
2005-11-17, 06:57 AM
I can not seem to find the check box. I know this is an old thread, working on Revit 8 now, but the problem is still there.
Am I just missing something basic?
Thanks.

Dimitri Harvalias
2005-11-17, 09:19 AM
As Chris suggests, check the options bar at the top of your drawing area.

Tobie
2005-11-17, 10:12 PM
That works when you want to reference a detail view, but not when you want to do a normal callout view. The reference label does not refer back to the drawing name either, like in sections.

I am looking to add a label called "View Name" to callout tag.

Dimitri Harvalias
2005-11-17, 10:58 PM
Tobie,
not sure I fully understand the issue or the question .
I would normally use this feature in a couple of ways.

In a plan view, create a plan callout to show a suite layout in detail. Annotate that view to show whatever detail is to be added at the larger scale.
Another suite, of a similar layout on a different level, would use the callout to reference the same annotated view so you don't need to redraw the same information in both views.

A wall section (section A) through one side of building would show construction at the exterior wall. The building is mirrored and the section on the opposite side of the building is identical. Create another section which references section A.

The reference label (the part of the section family controlling what is displayed) can be modified to show different things for different conditions. So you can create a range of tags (SIM, REV, OPP, Handed or whatever you want) to suit the various conditions.

You should not have to update any tags manually . Am I still not clear on what you're trying to do :?:

Tobie
2005-11-17, 11:17 PM
The callout head is showing all the info I want at the moment except "View Name" as it appears on the sheet. For some reason you can not add that label in callout view. It is an option as a label in section but not in callout.

Jos Arpink
2005-12-13, 07:48 PM
It took me a while to figure out how the Reference Label works, and I still don't think it's particularly intuitive.

Let's say I cut a section at a typical condition using a section head whose reference label contains the value "TYP", because I want to identify my condition as being "typical".
Revit will not display the reference label at this originial instance of the section, contrary to what I want or expect.

Instead, the label appears only when I land subsequent sections at other locations of the same typical condition, refering them to the view created by the original section. I suppose I could hide the original section annotation and replace it with yet another referenced view.

A problem arises when I have 4 or 5 instances of my condition that are truly "typical" and a 6th one that is merely "similar". Revit will not allow me to override the value of the label with 'SIM'. Here I feel I'm too restricted in how my section callouts read.

Unless I'm missing something, I think it would be more intuitive/flexible if the reference label belonged to the "refering" section, as opposed to the "referenced" section.

My 2c

archjake
2005-12-13, 08:20 PM
A problem arises when I have 4 or 5 instances of my condition that are truly "typical" and a 6th one that is merely "similar". Revit will not allow me to override the value of the label with 'SIM'. Here I feel I'm too restricted in how my section callouts read.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one. Somewhere between versions 5,6 or 7 they changed the way this works. Now in my opinion it is broken, broken, broken.

Wouldn't it be nice to have control over this like we once did.

This story begins with "Once upon a time..." :)

ford347
2007-08-17, 02:22 AM
Is it still the case that you can't control whether or not the reference label shows up next to your referenced section head? I have instances where the section is Typ. and other instances where it is not, yet they are referencing drafting views. This is kind of irritating. I think I'm going to have to place text next to the heads for the reference label just so the ones that I dont' want it won't have it. Has anybody found a workaround or hopefully I'm missing something?

Josh