PDA

View Full Version : 1-2-3 Revit BIM to Completion

beegee
2005-05-18, 01:01 AM
Article (http://aec.cadalyst.com/aec/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=161073)by Rick Rundell, discussing the advantages of " Builder Maker " in concept design

Scott D Davis
2005-05-18, 04:29 AM
Good article, I like that it let's people know that Revit is not just a design tool, and not just a "production" tool. It's a combination of both, and they work hand-in-hand. I hope this quote is insight into the future:

Conceptual building models often are developed using specialized software that allows architects to extrude forms, push and pull the geometry, create carved shapes or forms and so forth.

This 'specialized'oftware sounds much like Sketchup, especially the push/pull technology. I hope that we get this kind of 'loose' Sketchup-like capabilities in the Building Maker component of Revit in future releases.

ejburrell67787
2005-05-18, 09:08 AM
Revit Building Maker, a conceptual design toolset within the Revit building information modeling solution
So what is this "Revit Building Maker" that he is talking about? :screwy: The massing tool?

Elrond

beegee
2005-05-18, 09:41 AM
Yes, thats the one. It was originally promoted in 7.0 as Revit Building Maker, then the name lost its following for some reason.

Kevin Janik
2005-05-18, 05:51 PM
Speaking of SketchUp, has anyone seen the survey they sent out. The below is a thread on it that is interesting. From what a person in our firm said it sounded like it was from AutoDesk not SketchUp regarding them combining Revit and Sketchup or something like that.

Can someone post the survey who got it?

http://www.sketchup.com/forum/read.php?f=1&i=26450&t=26450

Kevin

Image added:

Scott Hopkins
2005-05-18, 08:32 PM
Wow! It is interesting reading some of the posts from SketchUP users regarding a possible take-over of @Last Software by Autodesk. They speak as if the Anti-Christ were coming to town to steal their first born. Their posts remind me of Revit user's posts during the Autodesk/Revit buyout.

BillyGrey
2005-05-19, 01:20 AM
Revit, Sketch-Up, then Piranesi, a trifecta made in heaven.

(Oops, almost forgot Maxwell :))

Is there such a thing as a "Quadfecta"???

pfrederico
2005-05-19, 05:24 AM
This would far more interesting if instead of just being sold together they somehow managed to work a way to make them interact with eachother. For example: by allowing a plane to be converted to a certain type of wall (much like we do with mass in Revit).

Actually there was a plug-in for Sketchup (or Architectural Desktop) that allowed them to work in between...

If you are interested in seeing serious Sketchup work and still don't know the site...

www.pushpullbar.com

Both the works and people here are great and it's worth the visit.

Cheers!

Martin P
2005-05-19, 12:42 PM
Interesting site. Gallery is very well laid out with some really nice images in it. Particularly liked the 3D details in the 5 star part of the gallery. Looked like a lot of work in them, but results were amazing... Collaboration with Revit would be excellent (for us anyway)!

hand471037
2005-05-22, 11:40 PM
This would far more interesting if instead of just being sold together they somehow managed to work a way to make them interact with eachother. For example: by allowing a plane to be converted to a certain type of wall (much like we do with mass in Revit).

It would be cool if the two worked together seamlessly, however if you export your Sketchup! model as a DWG, and pull it into Revit, you can then pick geometry from it to generate your Building Model. You can even, if you're brave, Lock the geometry down to the linked DWG file to keep the two associative (there's issues in this, that's why I say it's for the brave- but it can work)...

So it's not automatic, but you can use the Sketchup models in Revit to create from and Drive real Building Models... Can't go the other way however, which is more of what it sounds like you're talking about.