PDA

View Full Version : 3 - D Modelling in Revit is BRILLIANT

Mike Hardy-Brown
2005-05-18, 01:40 PM
Having fun drawing 3d Solids in Revit!!!!
Just finished attached spiral which reduces "spirally" in elevation and plan views.
About to start doing it parametrically.

Scott D Davis
2005-05-18, 03:44 PM
Mike, you have some 'splainin' to do! Let us know how you accomplished this form!

luigi
2005-05-18, 06:43 PM
Yes, please tell us what you are doing!!!!

patricks
2005-05-18, 09:22 PM
It looks like several sweeps along progressively smaller half-arcs, each one tilted up at opposing angles.

Which wouldn't make it a true decreasing radius sprial, but darn close. ;)

dirk.cilliers
2005-05-19, 06:42 AM
Hi Mike very intrigued by your model, especially how are you going about the parametrics, please tell!

Mike Hardy-Brown
2005-05-19, 10:24 AM
Patrick you are on the money however not a true decreasing radius sprial with one solid sweep!!!
I found 3 ways to do it, 1 by drawing my ref planes in an elevation view showing the angles I want to achieve and then basically sweeping a solid on the specific named plane using an arc.
The other way is to use a conical shape and picking the solid as the ref plane. draw solid sweeps on that path.
The easy way is to use the mirror tool in the elevation view once one solid sweeped curve has been drawn and then re-edit the path of the sweep after the solid has been mirrored twice (ie vertically and horizontally)

The profile was just something I was having fun with, and is totally irrelevant, however by cutting out of the thicker profile, it looks like the thinner sweep runs through.http://forums.augi.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

To get it to work parametrically I am using the tan formula (as with trusses) to adjust the angles of the ref planes in elevation views, as per step 1
Will let you know when it works though.

Mike Hardy-Brown
2005-05-20, 08:43 AM
Thanks for the rep points:D will be posting the model today hopefully, if anybody wants it?

ppelegrin
2005-05-20, 09:33 AM
Go on,

Give that to the builder I dare you, Just to see the look on his face.

Regards,
P Pelegrin

Mike Hardy-Brown
2005-05-20, 10:29 AM
:lol: The engineers will also have fun with it.
But if you can draw it in Revit, You can build it.......surely?

ejburrell67787
2005-05-20, 01:55 PM
...so it's not a helical spiral afterall....:(

...that was my first impression but having read your method and looked at the image again I can see each arc-segment is actually on a flat plane. I assume that in elevation it is a zig-zag and not continuous curve? (helix)

Elrond

Mike Hardy-Brown
2005-05-21, 01:59 PM
:| Quite Right Elron,

However when the curved ref planes come out in Revit I will be the happiest

ejburrell67787
2005-05-21, 05:54 PM
However when the curved ref planes come out in Revit I will be the happiest
not sure it called be called a 'plane' if it is curved Mike! Still bring 'em on I say...! 8)