PDA

View Full Version : ODBC Export - Can I filter or limit the data exported?

sjsl
2005-05-18, 03:55 PM
Is there a way to filter the data before exporting. We really don't need all of the backup to create an cost report, just specific items. It would be great to have a filter if one is not present. Otherwise we will have to hire an MS Access programmer to make this data useful.

Steve_Stafford
2005-05-18, 03:59 PM
Is there a way to filter the data before exporting. We really don't need all of the backup to create an cost report, just specific items. It would be great to have a filter if one is not present. Otherwise we will have to hire an MS Access programmer to make this data useful.I guess that depends on what you want to filter. if you can schedule it you can export to a comma delimited file and then import that data into your application of choice. This will give you a much smaller pile of data.

If you are really going to harness the data someone is going to need to some experience with some data/query tool. Access isn't that hard, as database applications go.

Tom Dorner
2005-05-18, 04:20 PM
In addition to what Steve suggests, you might want to explore an application called Crystal Reports which is familiar to those of us in the database world and is the defacto standard for producing reports from databases large and small. Cyrstal Reports can link to the ODBC output from Revit, filter, query, do math and produce very nice looking reports.

My mantra in our office and here on this site is that learning basic database management will be essential to take users of Revit to the next level. I would encourage you to get a start on the process. As Steve says, MS Access isn't all that hard, but like any other program still takes some time to learn. Besides, you would probably want to link tables and write your queries on the links which is a little more in-depth use of Access.

HTH

Tom

GuyR
2005-05-18, 08:20 PM
Is there a way to filter the data before exporting

API.

Guy