PDA

View Full Version : DXF files

p.vicini
2005-05-18, 09:14 PM
Hi all,
i'd like to know something more about the DXF files; how i can manage them, what software do i need to do it.
I saw that importing them in Revit they are in the black and white format and obviously you need to paint them.
Tank you for helping me
Regards

Wanderer
2005-10-28, 05:18 PM
Hi all,
i'd like to know something more about the DXF files; how i can manage them, what software do i need to do it.
I saw that importing them in Revit they are in the black and white format and obviously you need to paint them.
Tank you for helping me
Regardsfrom autoCAD help
You can export a drawing as a DXF (drawing interchange format) file. DXF files are text or binary files that contain drawing information that can be read by other CAD programs. If you are working with consultants who use a CAD program that accepts DXF files, you can share a drawing by saving it as a DXF file. they would all be black lines because upon save, you're losing all of the information specific to whatever program you've created it in. so, if importing it into autocad, you'd have to move objects to individual layers (which, I realize revit doesn't have, so someone else would have to tell you how to 'paint it' with the colors you need).

MikeJarosz
2005-10-28, 06:30 PM
An interesting fact about DXF files that is often overlooked is that they are text files that can be edited by a text editor.

For example, if you have a layer named MAXPLYZYK and can't seem to get rid of it in Acad, in the DXF you could do a global search and replace: search for MAXPLYZYK and replace with 0.

One caution: DXF files often run into the millions of lines. A text editor like notepad that requires the entire file to be in memory will bomb out. I use the Unix sed editor (streaming editor) that reads the file one line at a time. The only limit on file size is disk space.

There are other neat tricks you can perform with DXF files. If you are interested, there are resources on the web that detail the inner structure of these files. You will need to learn the DXF code for all of Acad's entities, not a bad thing to know more about.

Wanderer
2005-10-28, 07:30 PM
An interesting fact about DXF files that is often overlooked is that they are text files that can be edited by a text editor.

For example, if you have a layer named MAXPLYZYK and can't seem to get rid of it in Acad, in the DXF you could do a global search and replace: search for MAXPLYZYK and replace with 0.

One caution: DXF files often run into the millions of lines. A text editor like notepad that requires the entire file to be in memory will bomb out. I use the Unix sed editor (streaming editor) that reads the file one line at a time. The only limit on file size is disk space.

There are other neat tricks you can perform with DXF files. If you are interested, there are resources on the web that detail the inner structure of these files. You will need to learn the DXF code for all of Acad's entities, not a bad thing to know more about.This could certainly be an interesting topic to start on. Hmm, perhaps you would like to start a conversation over here (http://forums.augi.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)?