PDA

View Full Version : Units...176/256"???

J-G
2003-12-28, 08:39 AM
Have you noticed the new acuaracy in 6.0? I can't find a setting to switch this off. It could be nice at times, and I know that you can set dimensions to round, but I would like to round the values that Revit gives for instance parameters and when using the tape measure. It is becomming a bit of a frustration.

adegnan
2003-12-28, 05:19 PM
Jonathan,

From what I understand the temporary dimensions will always display to the maximum amount of accuracy to prevent small errors from adding up to a larger error somewhere else. So you can set your permanent dimensions to round off. But presumably you will want to adjust your temporary dimension to something that is more consolidated like 1/2" or 1/4" or whatever level of accuracy you desire. And the tape measure tool doesn't really snap to objects so i'm not sure what the solution is there.

J-G
2003-12-28, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the reply, but I am not aware that you can change the rounding on temp dims. Do you see somthing I don't? I have been looking for this, but cannot find it.

christopher.zoog51272
2003-12-28, 08:08 PM
I am not aware that you can change the rounding on temp dims. Do you see somthing I don't? I have been looking for this, but cannot find it.

AFAIK, This feature was removed in 6.0. Temp dims will now never round off. Only real dims if you set them that way.

adegnan
2003-12-28, 10:49 PM
Right, I meant that if your temp dimension displays 17/32" you probably actually want it to be 1/2" right? So you will want to manually adjust that to 1/2". That is what I meant to say.

But your permanent dimension will round 17/32 to 1/2 if you set it that way.

J-G
2003-12-29, 07:40 AM
I do wish they would remove this feature or at least make it optional. Not that I want everyone to think I am sloppy, but for some applications such as wood frame construction, accuracy down to 1/256" is more of a waste of time then anything else. If something reads out as a fraction like 69/256" it is just a pain to me becasue I have to pause for a second to make sure I am within my tolerance...I am not going to bother moving it.

In Acad I would set the accuracy to 1/32" but dimension to 1/8." This is just somthing that really shouldn't have been removed. In the construction industry when would you find such a unit?

Nic M.
2003-12-29, 01:11 PM
I also noticed this and would like it to be an option.
See http://www.zoogdesign.com/forums/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1927&highlight=

mlgatzke
2003-12-29, 05:50 PM
Personally, I like the change. I was always having to click on the temporary dimension to see it's true accuracy. This way I can see it without having to click on it. After all, if you see the true dimension and see that it's close enough for your needs - why not just ignore it? :?

Also, not to be tempramental, but please don't compare Revit to AutoCAD in it's dimensioning. AutoCAD's dimensioning is so antiquated and "fudgable". Revit's dimensions are ALWAYS accurate. I think I know more people that abuse AutoCAD dimensioning than use it correctly. There are so many settings in AutoCAD dimensions that people change to give them the results they "want" without realizing what those settings are actually doing and the problems that can be caused by the changes they've made. :evil:

OK, I'm off my soapbox now. :lol:

bclarch
2003-12-29, 07:14 PM
Personally, I am an accuracy freak and do not have a problem with the temp dimensions being so accurate. However, as we are seeing in this thread, everyone has different ways of working. I think that the accuracy of both temp dims and actual dims should be user selectable. This would allow for the most flexibility and everyone can happily work the way that they prefer. The only issue that I could see is in a larger firm where an individual might change the settings without others in the office knowing it. But that is more of a management issue than a software issue.

Scott D Davis
2003-12-29, 07:24 PM
What not just build the model accurately, so that the dimensions, whether temp dims or real dims, display the actual real dimension? I almost always place/move/copy/etc. objects by entering in real distances numerically, and then I don't have issues with 176/256" dimensions.

J-G
2003-12-29, 08:41 PM
I am not comparing Acad with Revit in a general way, but I am saying that the ability to set the accuracy in the project was a nice setting. At times a high degree of accuracy is needed and at other times (more times then not in construction) there is not such a need.

It is not as if I go about building models incorrectly, but I have noticed this problem specifically with 6.0. I had not had problem with my 5.1 model and never even though of it. Was the 5.1 model hiding small inaccuracies that 6.0 is merely displaying? Perhaps, but this is what it means to have tolerances. With a tolerance of 1/256" everything is has a heightened sensitivity and this adds to drafting time. There is no point to even think about such a unit when it is 16 times the smallest tolerance that is really going to be used in construction. With framing if the walls go up with in 1/8" -1/4" thats a good job!

I just do not understand why they changed it, and it continues to annoy me every time I see it.

beegee
2003-12-29, 09:15 PM
We've found that even though the job tolerance may only be 5 mm or so, the surveyors and Civil consultants demand the highest level of accuracy they can get from us for setouts etc.

We're happy with the new R6.0 setup.