PDA

View Full Version : Wall measurement changing with angled wall

cccm1863
2003-12-28, 10:45 PM
I have laid out grid lines so I can make a bay window 45 deg projecting 24". I have a 8" concrete wall with the exterior core as the alignment face. As soon as I make the 45deg wall my straight dimension gets shorter. (only by 1") but it still isn't right. Should I be locking the wall to the grid to stop this. I tried but the lock option doesn't come up.

adegnan
2003-12-28, 11:45 PM
Did you use the align tool to align and lock them?

Or, are your grid lines moving? You might also try reference planes for this job. Lock them in place if necessary.

cccm1863
2003-12-29, 01:41 AM
I tried using ref planes also. Locked them. Visually the exterior points are right on the plane lines. When you click on the wall the temp dimension shows off a slight bit from the ref plane. I have everything set for wall faces or exterior core face. Why would the temp dimension dots be off from the "visual corner" on the screen. I still must be approaching this wrong. I am sure this is a simple fix for the experienced revit guru.

aggockel50321
2003-12-29, 02:53 AM
Take a look at the wall structure (under properties) & see where the exterior face of the wall is in relation to the exterior core.

It sounds like there's a 1" difference beteen the two, which is OK, but your description above sounds like you've got the core outside the face. exterior core...

Also, select the wall in question & make sure the exterior face (control arrows) is on the correct side.

cccm1863
2003-12-29, 10:51 AM
WAll is a basic 200mm concrete wall with no other layers. I have the location line set for core exterior and then place it on the reference planes. Try it. I setup the reference planes from right to left. Horizontal for 2ft. 45deg out for 2ft perp. Then across for 5ft and back in at 45 deg. A Basic bay in a foundation wall. I can get the 2ft out dimension to stay but the horizontal dimensions change as soon as you add in the 45 deg walls.

aggockel50321
2003-12-29, 01:20 PM
I think I see what you're trying to accomplish, & see the problem you're having. Here's one way to do it.

At the exterior wall where you want to create the bay, draw a reference plane defining the center of the bay, & lock it. (see attached jpg)

Draw the first & second pieces of the bay wall that connect to the main wall, using the exterior core or face, assuming they're the same.

Dimension the first wall, set it to 2', & lock the dimension. Align the end of the other wall piece to the dimensioned piece, & lock the alignment.

Add a dimension between each exterior face of the above walls,and the centerline reference plane. Select the EQ lock. Add another dimension showing the overall distance between the exterior faces. Don't lock this dimension, but make sure it's greater than, say 5'-6".

Place the 45 degree walls, using the exterior face or core, starting at the end of each of the above walls, & carefully drag them out to 2'.

Add a dimension from the end of each of these walls to the exterior intersection of the adjacent wall. If you did the step above correctly, it'll read 2'. Lock these dimensions.

Place the last piece of wall between the two 45 deg walls starting & ending at the ext. face endpoint of each wall. Dimension it, but don't lock it. It will read something over 2'.

Select one 45 deg wall and the adjacent piece connecting to the main wall. Select "activate dimensions". The last dimension you added above won't highlight, but you can adjust the other temp dimensions that do, to make it read 2'.

Hope this helps....

cccm1863
2003-12-29, 01:51 PM
Thanks. I will give it a try. The only diff to my dwg. is I didn't have any 90 deg walls in the bay. The 45 deg wall started at the main foundation wall.

aaronrumple
2003-12-29, 02:27 PM
Under a different thread, I had a system worked out where I used a family to control the wall placement of a octagonal bay.

I sketched a few model lines as a generic family to make a parametric octagon. I then placed that in the design and aligned the walls to the sketch lines. If I then adjusted or moved the family, the walls would follow.

This was so helpful, that I made several basic geometric shapes to use for layout design and sketching.