PDA

View Full Version : Running dimension or baseline dimension?

aliya14
2005-05-20, 09:28 AM
Good day everyone.
Could u please tell me if its possible to create running or baseline dimensions in revit as u do in autocad.
Regards,
Aliya

Shaun v Rooyen
2005-05-20, 09:34 AM
Aliya. As with most things in Revit you do it differently to acad. Select all the objects you want to dim first, then set your baseline position.

Scott D Davis
2005-05-20, 03:30 PM
You can:

Place a single dimension, then modify the dimension by clicking Edit Witness line in the Options bar. After clicking Edit Witness line, click the next item in the string to dimension to.
Dimension an entire wall at once. Start the dimension tool, look to the Options Bar, and change the settings as you need to dimension openings, grids, walls, etc.
Dimension running dimensions by clicking. Start Dimension, click first point, then second point, then third, etc until done, then click to set the position of the dimension string.
Also, dimension spacing can be set in the Dimension Properties, so an overall dimension will 'snap' to a distance away from the running dimension below it.

I'm waiting for the Factory to figure out "Dimension Everything" with one click!

Chirag Dedhia
2005-06-07, 12:19 PM
What u have mentioned is, i guess, continuous dimensioning. I also, still wonder how the baseline dimensioning works in Revit.

Any help on this?

sbrown
2005-06-07, 12:57 PM
What is baseline dimensioning?

daniel.hurtubise70031
2005-06-07, 01:08 PM
Dimension that starts from the same point (baseline)
| |
| |
| |

Know what i mean ?

mmodernc
2005-06-07, 01:55 PM
Often this is how you measure an existing building i.e. run the tape and read off positions of windows doors etc.
The only way I have been able to do it is to run a stack of dimensions from a common starting point.
It would be nice to have them starting with a dot then having arrowheads pointing in the running direction all on one witness line.
Have I missed something?

Steve_Stafford
2005-06-07, 02:33 PM
Personally baseline dimensioning is something you find in fabrication detailing. A steel angle punched for example where it is important that all the holes are the correct distance from one end only for all pieces (to line up when assembled).

It isn't as relevant or as effective for buildings because of the great distances and numbers of objects involved. It isn't practical to tell a contractor that the window is 85'-6" from the far end of the building when it's only 30'-0" from the near or 4'-0" from the adjacent window?
Not saying you shouldn't use them...to create them with Revit you need to create separate strings and "stack" them up.

aliya14
2005-06-08, 05:40 AM
Thanx,
Normally Baseline dimensions are done in interior planning So I feel it should be added in revit since its an architectural software and interior is a part of it.
Regards,
Aliya

mmodernc
2005-06-08, 09:53 AM
Ditto
If you want to set out a buliding accurately you run the tape.

Steve_Stafford
2005-06-08, 01:22 PM
You can still do it in Revit you just need to pick the first point each time. Yes it could be easier if it were a separate feature.

Run the tape? With a the cool gadgets surveyors have now? Not likely :D More like shoot the laser...

Andrew Dobson
2005-06-09, 08:55 AM
All architects I have ever known do surveys by starting at a given point (eg one corner of the building) and taking running dimensions/baseline dims from this point. Its quicker and more accurate that way.

ArchiCAD does these kind of dims very well - where Revit could have a real advantage is if you could rough out your building, and then use these running/baseline dims to input the values from your survey as you can type in dim values in Revit which is not possible in ArchiCAD. Even better if you could type values into permenent dims in Revit as well as temp ones

This a potentially huge time saver for Architects and one where Revit could easily take a clear lead form the competition.