PDA

View Full Version : 3D Object Importing into Revit

razorx1858
2003-12-29, 01:06 AM
Gents,

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out if Revit can do this:

I'm importing a simple 3d sphere from Autocad into Revit and I want to apply a "model pattern" to it such as brick, tile, etc., can this be done?

I'm exhausted trying, it seems like such an simple task. :?:

gregcashen
2003-12-29, 04:07 AM
I believe the material has to be assigned to a layer in Autocad before the import...then import the sphere into a in-place family in revit.

sbrown
2003-12-29, 07:25 PM
YOu just need to know what layer the object is on and under object styles>import...> pick your dwg file> then the layer and add the material you want.

LRaiz
2003-12-29, 09:21 PM
I suspect razox is complaining about inability to apply a model pattern to a doubly-curved surface of a sphere.

Revit currently supports model patterns applied only to some surfaces that could be flatten without stretching (planes and cylinders). Applying brick pattern to sphere would require making some additional choices between 3d materials or distorting pattern definition by wrapping it onto a doubly curved surface. These are the options that Revit does not currently support.

Scott D Davis
2003-12-29, 10:01 PM
Gents,

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out if Revit can do this:

I'm importing a simple 3d sphere from Autocad into Revit and I want to apply a "model pattern" to it such as brick, tile, etc., can this be done?

I'm exhausted trying, it seems like such an simple task. :?:

What I think you need to ask yourself is "how would I build a sphere out of brick?" Obviously it's not as simple as applying a pattern that will bend and contort to the face of the sphere.

A brick "sphere" would actually be a multi-faceted object, and not truely a sphere, and would be extremly tough to construct. It's a simple task in AutoCAD, because AutoCAD allows one to "fake" so much geometry. Revit forces you to actually think about the real world, and build the model as you would in real life.

tatlin
2003-12-29, 11:00 PM
I suspect razox is complaining about inability to apply a model pattern to a doubly-curved surface of a sphere.

Yes, but the sphere he has imported is probably already planar faces.

I know of two ways to make a sphere in autocad - as an ACIS solid or as a polymesh. The former will not currently import because revit does not support ACIS solids. The latter will import correctly.

Because the polymesh is an approximation of a sphere and each face is planar it should be possible to map a surface pattern onto them (without the qualifications made below). I still doubt you will be able to find a contractor that will build you a brick sphere though :)

Revit currently supports model patterns applied only to some surfaces that could be flatten without stretching (planes and cylinders). Applying brick pattern to sphere would require making some additional choices between 3d materials or distorting pattern definition by wrapping it onto a doubly curved surface. These are the options that Revit does not currently support.

Assign a brick material to the object style the imported geometry is mapped to.