PDA

View Full Version : Add/subtract from the selection set in 6.0

Dean Camlin
2003-12-29, 01:52 PM
I'm pretty sure this is new behaviour in 6.0. I just noticed over the weekend that you still add to your selection set of multiple objects to be edited by holding down the control key. But now you remove objects from the selection set by holding down the shift key. The cursor acquires a little + or - sign next to it, respectively, as a reminder.

aggockel50321
2003-12-29, 03:11 PM
I'm pretty sure this is new behaviour in 6.0. I just noticed over the weekend

That Autodesk influence is creeping in... I guess it does make sense to standardize, just have to re-program what's left of my brain.

mlgatzke
2003-12-29, 05:39 PM
We discussed this with the Revit guys at AU. It made sense. They said that some people were complaining that there were times that they were trying to deselect an item, but accidentally selected an additional object. Therefore, the Shift button was chosen as a deselect key while keeping the Control button as the select key.

As far as choosing the Shift button over another button, I'm sure that decision was made to fit the "Autodesk mold". No biggie, I've been finding it a change that I'm quickly adapting to.

Scott D Davis
2003-12-29, 07:28 PM
The other problem that it solves, is that you can select a few objects in one view, and then switch to another view, then window additional objects to add to the selection. In prior releases, this would have unselected the previously selected items.

jbalding48677
2003-12-29, 10:28 PM
The other problem that it solves, is that you can select a few objects in one view, and then switch to another view, then window additional objects to add to the selection. In prior releases, this would have unselected the previously selected items.

Not necessarily true Mr. Davis, I have been able to switch views and continue to select and deselect items in previous releases; provided that the view was already open...

Scott D Davis
2003-12-29, 11:01 PM
Ley me clarify what I meant:

example: I picked the toilet and sink fixtures in a restroom by clicking on them individually, while holding the CTRL key. Then decided that I wanted to select the whole bathroom and everything inside it. So then I would draw a selection window around the entire restroom. Revit would turn the previously selected items to unselected, and vice-versa.

In the latest version 6.0, using Ctrl and Shift for selection, there is no longer this problem. Make sense?

aggockel50321
2003-12-30, 02:32 AM
In the latest version 6.0, using Ctrl and Shift for selection, there is no longer this problem. Make sense?

It does to me, Scott.

One of my biggest problems is going back to acad & trying to do basic things like selecting groups of objects, zooming in & out, etc.

Anything they can do to standardize basic commands, I'm all for... (as long as the switch is one for one & not just all acad)

It's funny though, how acad is really becoming more & more shelfware as I get more proficient in Revit. The interface is really much more intuitive.