PDA

View Full Version : Other Uses for Keyed Schedules?

SCShell
2005-05-21, 02:27 PM
Hey there,

Since I am thinking about schedules this morning...

In my template, I have a keyed hardware schedule so that I can show hardware sets in my door schedules and also have them shown as instance based, yes/no parameters for all of my door types as I add them to a project; however, I am sure there are other creative ways to use Keyed Schedules. What other uses have you all come up with for this handy feature?

I love finding ways to streamline the working drawings process. I would be interested to see how you all use keyed schedules for other things. (Maybe room, finish and wall schedules, etc.)
Here is another example of what I am talking about:

I have started using a keyed schedule in my main template for "Top of Wall Conditions" which reflects most of the main conditions I encounter on a project. ("wall assembly up to deck or structure", "wall up to bottom of Ceiling Grid", "low wall, refer drawings", "studs up to deck w/ GWB extended 6" above Ceiling Grid, etc.) Then, I use an added parameter in my Wall Schedule to use my keyed schedule's numbers to select the condition, kind of like my hardware sets in the door schedule. (As I run into new conditions, I just add a row to the keyed schedule. I also update the template too.)

Any thoughts are welcome!
Steve

Mike Hardy-Brown
2005-05-21, 02:37 PM
Steve,

I have a schedule, that may seem a bit bland now (created in R6)
It used a lot of drafting views (As legends started in r7) but with reference to each other.

ps Very rudimentary, working on a cool one.

nebojsa.jeremic
2005-05-21, 03:22 PM
You draw elevation of doors in drafting view but is it possible to make it like legend with doors drag from families. Problem is how to let dimension on it.

Wow. my English ...

archjake
2005-05-21, 06:34 PM
Steve,

I too seem to ask this question to myself a lot. Its always a good idea to step back and ask how can we streamline the process.

It takes work, but my latest schedule deals with occupancy.

My key schedule is the occupancy table out of the IBC. Then I create a room schedule that takes and does the calculations to do a quick occupancy tabulation. This is where I wish we had more control over the way room square footage is calculated as I don't think the Gross SF is going to calculate correctly. I guess we could always add a "adjustment" factor or column that is hidden in the final schedule.

Other schedules I have done involve:

Plumbing: Automatic fixture unit calculations.

Outside air calculations for tenant improvements. This too can be linked to a key schedule with the IMC 403.3 tables values.

I'm still trying to come up with a way to do an electrical panel that self schedules...

Also remember. Schedules work great and are very powerful with calculations that can be done within a family(s) parameters.

archjake
2005-05-22, 12:18 AM
Here is an example of how to create a room finish tag that correlates to the room finish schedule. As of current, this is the only way that I know that this can be done. The only catch is that the first two columns in the key schedules need to be manually set to read as the same value. When you're ready to plot your project, just hide one of the columns, or just leave it... This process sort of cheats the system.

First set up a room tag. Place in the labels you want pointed to your shared parameter.
Create your key schedules. The second column in the key schedule points to these parameters.
Edit your finish schedule to point to the shared parameters as well.

Everything is coordinated between the finish schedule and finish tag (which is really a room tag).

SCShell
2005-05-22, 01:11 PM
Very nice Finish Schedule Jake.
Funny, I was finishing my wall finish Key Schedule late last night! Saw your post this morning....hmmm, guess I am on the right track. Your post enilightned me however, I never thought of making the room tag. Nice touch!
Thanks
Steve

As a side note Jake, the plan reviewers usually only measure the interior faces of a room to determine occupancy. I remember Doug telling me once, "well, when you can figure out how to stand part way in a wall, let me know."

Seezya

Mike Hardy-Brown
2005-05-23, 01:12 PM
You draw elevation of doors in drafting view but is it possible to make it like legend with doors drag from families. Problem is how to let dimension on it.

Wow. my English ...nebojsa.jeremic,
In Revit 8 you can dimension families in a legend view.

hand471037
2005-05-23, 03:28 PM
At a place that I used to work at we did a lot of Multi-unit residential projects. We used Key schedules to manage Unit Types. So a Room Tag had a 'Unit Type' parameter, and that then set several other parameters for things like Unit Description, the detail key for the Unit Plan, Unit Finishes, and more.