PDA

View Full Version : Can't change links to imports

sbrown
2005-05-24, 01:09 PM
I am trying to archive my project, it has 80+ dwgs linked into it. I made everything editable, went into the manage links dialog box and highlighted the dwgs and clicked the import button, they all leave the dialog box as expected and if I go and pick on one of the dwgs in the project I can now explode it(I don't) I save and close. If I open it up again they are all links again??? Any ideas?

luigi
2005-05-24, 01:12 PM
I don't think there is a distinction between import and link...aren't all files imported linked? (except for images?)

sbrown
2005-05-24, 01:36 PM
No, imported dwgs can be exploded, linked ones are like xrefs they need the original file and get loaded into the project when you open the file. LInked files can be modified in acad and reloaded. I'mported files are "dead"

luigi
2005-05-24, 01:38 PM
You're right, you're right...I was thinking of revit files, not dwg's.....:Oops:

david.kingham
2005-05-24, 01:55 PM
I assume you have tried doing one at a time rather than all at the same time?

sbrown
2005-05-24, 02:25 PM
I will try, its just soooo many.

Shaun v Rooyen
2005-05-24, 02:25 PM
With 80+ linked DWG's, Why don't you just use Acad?

sbrown
2005-05-24, 03:22 PM
80 views is actually a very small portion of the job. I haven't counted, but as I'm exporting the sheets to autocad for the use of the other consultants, there are over 1000 views, so 80 views is nothing. This is a large interiors project where the backgrounds come from a different architectural firm. They use autocad, so we have all the architectural drawings linked, the MEP linked and then in crunch time we needed a multitude of restroom elevations done and the people available weren't revit trained so I told them to do those views in acad, following the revit white paper on integrating dwg and rvt, we set up the views, exported them, the graphics were finished in acad, then linked back in. We then noted and dimensioned them in revit(don't ever do this, if you reload you lose your dimenstions)