PDA

View Full Version : Polyline to line

k_senthilnathan
2005-05-24, 07:24 PM
Hi everybody,

I would like to convert a polyline feature to a line feature in autocad 2004. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Nathan.

sturner
2005-05-24, 08:11 PM
explode it.

k_senthilnathan
2005-05-25, 12:08 PM
Sturner,

I tried explode, but I end up losing the object data. I want to preserve the object data at the same time convert polyline to line.

Thanks
Nathan

sdaniel.3467
2005-05-25, 01:32 PM
This simply can't be done, easily.

Object data is tied to an object using the object's HANDLE as a link to the data. When you change an object such that the change either creates new objects (break) or change an object into something else (line to polyline or explode a polyline) the HANDLE ID's change, thus loosing their link to the object data.

The Drawing cleanup tools maintain the object HANDLEs for the most part especially converting lines to polylines.

There are 3rd party applications/routines/software that will assist in accomplishing what you want. I highly recommend 4DTechnologies GeoTools http://www.4d-technologies.com/geotools/
Their package has a routine that will allow you to transfer object data from one object (your polyline) to another (lines you draw to trace your polyline).

JeremiahM
2005-05-26, 03:52 PM
There is also a .lsp in the map install directory:

C:\Program Files\Autodesk Map 3D 2005\Sample\copy_od.lsp

It will copy OD from one object to another, that is a long way to do it though if you have a bunch of PLINES you need to convert. What is the purpose of having the lines opposed to the plines?

Jeremiah