PDA

View Full Version : printing to pdf

Bim Man
2005-05-25, 12:06 PM
i can not seem to pdf all my sheets to one document. i can not select that option under the print menu. i defaults to single sheets for output. is there a way to change this that i am not aware of.

Mike Hardy-Brown
2005-05-25, 12:09 PM
Do you want to print all of your sheets onto 1 PDF?

Bim Man
2005-05-25, 12:14 PM
that is what i am trying to do. i am getting tired of having to open each pdf for the single sheet and print 30 times. i know i can do it in other programs put have not tried it until this morning fro revit and i am not having any luck.

Mike Hardy-Brown
2005-05-25, 12:26 PM
Bim Man,

As far as I know you cannot do this, however have you considered exporting an html file (with browsable links?
That works quite well as a quick reference guide?

ejburrell67787
2005-05-25, 12:30 PM
I get the same thing - the option of printing them to a single file is greyed out even when I select a list of sheets to print. Can't see why though... anyone know why? Or better still how to print multiple sheets to a single pdf file?

Elrond

EDIT: can do for DWF files though... maybe an Autodesk ploy to encourage DWF usage or something that has come about because the Pinebrush PDF writer isn't supported in Revit 8?

Mike Hardy-Brown
2005-05-25, 12:31 PM
Step by step attached (from one of our user groups)http://forums.augi.com/images/icons/icon12.gif

Mike Hardy-Brown
2005-05-25, 12:39 PM
I got multiple sheets to print to pdf...

by re selecting current window and then selected views/sheets, then selected views to print, you basically append all views to one pdf document and then print.
But this was printed off R8 with my revit pdf writer???

Elrond, it would be cool if you could drag a sheet onto another sheet, then print that to 1 pdf page.
Would possibly mess with all of the tagging etc.

Bim Man
2005-05-25, 01:49 PM
mike

did you get all sheets in 1 file, or where they all sperate files per sheet. i am using 8 also.

ejburrell67787
2005-05-25, 02:30 PM
I got multiple sheets to print to pdf...

by re selecting current window and then selected views/sheets, then selected views to print, you basically append all views to one pdf document and then print.
But this was printed off R8 with my revit pdf writer???

Elrond, it would be cool if you could drag a sheet onto another sheet, then print that to 1 pdf page.
Would possibly mess with all of the tagging etc.
OK I tried it as you said Mike - set it to print current view, set file name, then changed back to print selected views/sheets - Bingo! 3 sheets printed into a single PDF file of 3 pages! The option to print to one file is still greyed out... but selected already!

Not sure what you are getting at about dragging sheets into each other - do you mean like having multiple titleblocks in autocad paperspace? Be great though to be able to drag pdf files onto each other in windows explorer and have them combine as a single pdf file...!

Elrond

Scott D Davis
2005-05-25, 03:00 PM
Elrond, you are using Revit 8.0 and the PDF Writer 4.2?

ejburrell67787
2005-05-25, 03:03 PM
Elrond, you are using Revit 8.0 and the PDF Writer 4.2?
Yup.

(EDIT: oops need 10 characters I see....! Are we there yet...?)

Bim Man
2005-05-25, 03:13 PM
when i try it, it does not work. wheni switch to select views/sheets it defults to seperate files and i still have the greyed out box not selected. what version of the pdf writer are you using. mine says 4.2 pinebrush. i am on version 8 revit.

gordolake
2005-05-26, 12:55 AM
I am having same issues,
Revit 7 cannot get multiple sheets into 1 pdf file.

This is very annoying because of emailing, archiving, printing and I thought this would be the best method for overcoming the slow printing of shaded views. (once the single pdf is made future copies are easy) but not if they are all separate files.

There just seams to be something amiss in the print dialogue box
This needs serious addressing by factory.

I cant get people interested in the dwf yet!

PDF is the industry standard for document exchange - this must work.

Steve

Mr Spot
2005-05-26, 12:59 AM
We use Adobe Acrobat Professional but it still requires that you print each page separately then compile all the PDFs into 1 file as a separate operation...

gordolake
2005-05-26, 02:12 AM
Maybe this is the workaround,

Print selected views from revit to the Revit DWF writer. Gives you multiple sheets in 1dwf document.
Open DWF then print to a free PDF writer like jaws or primo or others, (select all sheets) this will give you 1 PDF file with multi sheets and i guess you now have both the multi DWF and multi PDF files for distribution.

Surly printing is one of the most basic parts of any documentation program and should be simple and painless.

WOW the workaround merry go round and round !!! frustration = centrifugal force squared.

Steve.

P.S. Why do we, as subscription end users have to keep reinventing the wheel. :sad:

aaronrumple
2005-05-26, 03:08 AM
Regardless of Autodesk's master plan to take over the world with DWF (Dr. Evil), we need a simple and workable PDF solution. Rel. 8 effectively broke all PDF batch printing. Having to print Revit->DWF->PDF really just makes me hate DWF all that much more.

gordolake
2005-05-26, 03:19 AM
Yes Aaron, I completely agree. I thought if and when I get time to install 8 these simple printing matters would be addressed, but by your assessment i see it has become more unusable.

Using the work around from DWF> multi PDF also has some implications for sheets sizing between printer drivers ie. margins, scale to fit and tiling etc.:banghead:

Its all very well having BIM sitting inside the puter but that doesn't get things built in the Field !!!

Hard copy CD's is what pays the bills here.

Steve

Mike Hardy-Brown
2005-05-26, 08:15 AM
mike

did you get all sheets in 1 file, or where they all sperate files per sheet. i am using 8 also.
Hi Bim Man
Time Zone delay:Puffy:
They were all in 1 file, but each seperate sheets were on seperate pages.
Elrond, are we doing something different when printing to PDF???????

gordons.68934 Have you upgraded? I am not sure that if you un-install 7 when you upgrade to 8 if it takes off the Revit PDF Creator.

It seemed to work with relative ease when I printed to pdf.

beegee
2005-05-26, 08:34 AM
>>gordons.68934 Have you upgraded? I am not sure that if you un-install 7 when you upgrade to 8 if it takes off the Revit PDF Creator.

It seemed to work with relative ease when I printed to pdf.The pdf writer remains in RB8. It is not uninstalled. It is no longer supported by Autodesk. There is a way (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=19413&highlight=pdf) to get the program if there has been corruption , or manual deletion, of that file.

ejburrell67787
2005-05-26, 08:47 AM
Elrond, are we doing something different when printing to PDF???????
Dunno...but it worked for me when I tried it as I posted above...!

Elrond