PDA

View Full Version : AutoCad Map 2006

lisa.clayton
2005-05-25, 01:28 PM
I recently upgraded to Map 2006 and loaded express tools as instructed, however the Map menu will not load. What do I need to do to get the Map menu?

Wanderer
2005-05-25, 01:30 PM
I recently upgraded to Map 2006 and loaded express tools as instructed, however the Map menu will not load. What do I need to do to get the Map menu?I am going to move this from the LUG forum to this one as I feel it would be better served here.

Thanks.

Wanderer
2005-05-25, 01:33 PM
I recently upgraded to Map 2006 and loaded express tools as instructed, however the Map menu will not load. What do I need to do to get the Map menu?
does this discussion on map 2006 (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=18006&page=2&pp=20)help at all? (still haven't installed mine yet... am actuall about to right now... wish me luck)

Wanderer
2005-05-25, 01:35 PM
wait, sorry, I knew I saw this (http://discussion.autodesk.com/search.jspa?numResults=25&inputEntered=true&source=viewforum%7C85&q=map+menu&objID=f85) somewhere... from the adesk groups: Re: Map Menu not loaded
use the command "menu" and then load acMap.cui that will help you get the map menu you are looking for.

did that work?

MHultgren
2005-05-25, 02:09 PM
Is the command MENU or MENULOAD? Did they change this is '06? What about just running the CUI ?

Glenn Pope
2005-05-25, 02:28 PM
If your running the default install, you don't need the map pulldown. All the command have been integrated into the other pulldown.

You also have a choice between "Map Classic" or "Map 3D". Under the View pulldown in "Menu/Toolbar Layout". Classic will give you what you had in 2005.

Also you can add it using workspaces in the CUI. Check out these threads on how to use the CUI.

CUI and workspace videos from Autodesk (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=19301)

Notes on the philosophy of CUI (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=18955)

lisa.clayton
2005-05-25, 02:57 PM
I am trying to insert xrefs using mapiinsert and I used to do it with the Map menu so it would load to proper coordinates.

Glenn Pope
2005-05-25, 06:27 PM
That command is located under the Create pulldown.

Create=>Insert an image...

Again that is if your using the default install.

Wanderer
2005-05-25, 06:59 PM
I am trying to insert xrefs using mapiinsert and I used to do it with the Map menu so it would load to proper coordinates.
alright, lisa. right after I emailed you, I pulled up map... same dillyo... I got the express menu to load by doing 'menuload' and picking the acetmain.cui. buuut, of course, couldn't load the acmap.cui.

so, I reread some threads on the autodesk discussion groups, and one of the adesk people said I should have like 3 workspaces, but, all I had was autocad default, none for map. I did what another user had suggested which was to reinstall, do a custom install and deselect 'migrate custom settings' and, when I opened it up this time, I had everything loaded properly.
you can either use the workspace 'map classic' or use the cui to turn on the menus

I also saw repeatedly the suggestion to type mapskinmap at the command line to get an older feel to the program...

have fun, happy cadding...

jim.dahl
2005-05-27, 12:59 PM
and deselect 'migrate custom settings' ...

I had to do the same thing, but should have read the Read Me files which explained this, wouldn't have had to do 3 installs till I got it right.

Anyway, the practice was good, as now I have the Map pull down along with the newer menus with the map tools distributed. As I get used to them I will rid some to save screen real estate.

Jim

Wanderer
2005-05-27, 01:10 PM
I had to do the same thing, but should have read the Read Me files which explained this, wouldn't have had to do 3 installs till I got it right.

Anyway, the practice was good, as now I have the Map pull down along with the newer menus with the map tools distributed. As I get used to them I will rid some to save screen real estate.

Jim
:shock: read me files? :confused:

trevillyn
2005-06-02, 01:00 PM
Hi all,

I was interested in Melanie's mention of the 'mapskinmap' command. I have been having lots of problems with 2006Map3D - crashes, lost menus and slooow running. Also every time I opened the CUI interface and then closed it (regardless of making changes or not) I received a JIT debugging message. Autodesk suggested the mapskinmap command to cure the problems. I used it, and guess what! The programme doubled it's speed and the JIT message stopped appearing. Switch back and the problems reappear.

For my money (or my company's) 2005 is a much more stable and quicker version. Customisation is easier and it doesn't crash anywhere near as often as 2006. (I am running a 1.8P4 with 1.3gig of ram and a very fast graphics card with a single user installation). I think that the developers were more interested in 'playing' with the programme rather than creating a worker's tool. I am just thankful that I didn't uninstall 2005.

At the last crash I lost the 'line' and 'pline' commands and although I have come across it before I have forgotten how to reactivate the commands - I did a repair reinstall but they are still missing.

Best wishes to all
John (UK)

Wanderer
2005-06-02, 01:41 PM
John, it is a little painful for me, since I've been using vanilla 2006, which was totally stable the whole way through... as I recall 2005 MAP was a little painful also, until the service packs came out... ~waiting patiently for those~

I haven't had a problem of disappearing menus or commands since I reinstalled without the migration tools.

let us know if you rediscover the solution to your lost tools, or find out what caused them... best of luck...

Hi all,

I was interested in Melanie's mention of the 'mapskinmap' command. I have been having lots of problems with 2006Map3D - crashes, lost menus and slooow running. Also every time I opened the CUI interface and then closed it (regardless of making changes or not) I received a JIT debugging message. Autodesk suggested the mapskinmap command to cure the problems. I used it, and guess what! The programme doubled it's speed and the JIT message stopped appearing. Switch back and the problems reappear.

For my money (or my company's) 2005 is a much more stable and quicker version. Customisation is easier and it doesn't crash anywhere near as often as 2006. (I am running a 1.8P4 with 1.3gig of ram and a very fast graphics card with a single user installation). I think that the developers were more interested in 'playing' with the programme rather than creating a worker's tool. I am just thankful that I didn't uninstall 2005.

At the last crash I lost the 'line' and 'pline' commands and although I have come across it before I have forgotten how to reactivate the commands - I did a repair reinstall but they are still missing.

Best wishes to all
John (UK)

Glenn Pope
2005-06-02, 04:40 PM
Funny how people can use the same programs and have different problems. Map 2005 gave me nothing but problems. Even after the service packs and a new install on a brand new computer. So far with Map 2006, I haven't had a single problem with it. So far its only crashed ones for some unknown reason. The other times was because of a file that was converted to a dwg by an outside company (some how had a 3D point in a 2D polyline :confused: ).

trevillyn
2005-06-03, 03:29 PM
Hi
I have discovered the solution to lost commands problem.:

Type 'redefine' (no quotes) <enter>

type the lost command <enter>

and that's it!

Regards, John

hafid
2007-10-03, 12:23 AM
I recently upgraded to Map 2006 and loaded express tools as instructed, however the Map menu will not load. What do I need to do to get the Map menu?.

I have come across this problem but with ACADMao 3D 2007, and this is how I solved the problem:
At the command prompt write the following:

(command "menu" "acmap") then press return.

After doing this, try to load the appropriate Worspace.

Good luck