PDA

View Full Version : Legacy cad detail files

tim.76721
2005-05-25, 07:01 PM
Legacy cad detail files

We have a lot of cad details that we would like to convert to Revit. I have set up a conversion table in Revit for importing this detail. It seems to work for the details that were all drawn with color bylayer. But does not work when items were not drawn with color bylayer. See the attached file and look at the wall batt insulation, all was drawn as color 8, but on two different layers.

Have any one encountered this or has a work around.

Thanks for any help.
Tim

sbrown
2005-05-26, 02:11 PM
This is correct you must have your dwgs color by layer, since revit lets you control the lineweights, color and linetype of dwg lines once imported the only way to do this is if they set up as color by layer, linetype by layer etc. So you need to fix your dwgs first, making them all this way.

tim.76721
2005-05-26, 06:15 PM
Scott,

Thanks for looking at this.

Have a great day,

Tim

Alex Page
2005-05-26, 09:15 PM
Is there any way of layer mapping/ translation to predetermined 'revit' linetypes?....sort of like an 'Import layers file"...this would be great, therefor I wouldnt have all those 'orrible acad layers coming in

Steve_Stafford
2005-05-26, 10:37 PM
Is there any way of layer mapping/ translation to predetermined 'revit' linetypes?....sort of like an 'Import layers file"...this would be great, therefor I wouldnt have all those 'orrible acad layers coming inYou can only map Acad colors to Revit pens.

File > Import/Export Settings > Import Lineweights Dwg/Dxf

Alex Page
2005-05-27, 05:17 AM
but doesnt that still retain the layer names of the autocad item? I thought it just maps the layer to print with a thickness as determined by the pen number....please correct me if Im wrong

sbrown
2005-05-27, 02:23 PM
That would be an awesome wishlist item. The other thing is to map linetypes to revit linetypes, currently if you bring in a dwg, you get their linetypes and hatches and it gets ugly really fast. I can barely open my linetype selector due to the 100's of linetypes, which are all copies of the same linetype brought into revit from a dwg. Take a look at these two images, I can't expand the view to show you the whole list but each linetype, ie IMPORT:HIDDEN4 has between 70 and 100 copies. Its just awful and there is no way to purge them or consolodate them without exploding every dwg.