PDA

View Full Version : Another Roof Challenge

bowlingbrad
2005-05-26, 08:34 PM
I am wondering if this roof can be made with one roof. I have used way too many roofs and edited the sketches of these roofs way too much. Any tips/pointers would be appreciated.

Dimitri Harvalias
2005-05-26, 09:51 PM
Hi Brad,

I don't think it's possible with one roof but how about two?
Check out the attached file. The trick is to set the cutoff for the main portion of the roof at the level of the ridge on the secondary roofs and then add another flat roof to fill the hole.
HTH

hand471037
2005-05-26, 09:52 PM
what about creating a Mass of the whole roof, and then using the 'Roof by Face' tool. Then you could change the Mass, and have all the Roofs update semi-automatically...

I'll take a stab at it later, if you want.

Dimitri Harvalias
2005-05-26, 09:54 PM
Sorry Brad,

didn't realize you had uploaded the .rvt file and I just built one of my own. Hopefully you get the idea from the example.

Joef
2005-05-26, 10:15 PM
You are too fast Dimitri. Here is a JPG of my attempt using the same method. I'll just have to be faster next time. :-)

bowlingbrad
2005-05-27, 12:08 PM
Joef,
Great job but, could you take another look at my file? I have two different pitches 12/12 and 24/12. The center roof between the two hip roofs and the 'face' of those hip roofs are 24/12. I also have a small return along the rear of that center roof.

I just think that I'm not doing this as efficiently as possible.

Much appreciation!

Joef
2005-05-27, 01:59 PM
You're right Brad, I missed a return on the middle roof. I couldn't go back and look at the file though as it crashed when I tried to open it. I don't think you can do that middle roof (the one paralell to the main roof) as part of the main one, if you want that feature.
What release are you running? I had this crashing problem with the beta release.

Joe

bowlingbrad
2005-05-27, 02:47 PM
Build 20050523_2300

I think it's crashing because I used Purge Unused and it mistakenly gets rid of all windows in the file (even the defaults). SEE THIS TAMAS' COMMENTS IN THIS THREAD (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=19965)

I'm going to send these files to support today.