PDA

View Full Version : Inserting text offset from line

rortiz
2005-05-26, 08:53 PM
Hello all

I am attempting to label a series of roads using Map to query the text in. I am able to insert and align the text to the road line segment using "(angtos .angle)", but am now wanting to have the text offset a distance off the road. How/where do I insert a value to shift the text off the road line?

On a similar vein, (angtos .angle) sometimes causes the text to be entered 180 degrees off from the W-E or N-S orientation that I'm looking for my text to have. The text is rarely 0,90,180,270, so I'm quite a bit beyond my depth as to how to force the text to be flipped to ~0 degrees and ~90. BEFORE I would offset.

If anyone is still hanging in here with me, when I used to have ArcView available, I use to be able simplify some of my line work before I queried it with Map, thus minimizing the number of labels it threw in for each road line segment. I know about "mapclean", but is there anyway to simplify the line work BEFORE I query in the text?

Thanks in advance.

Ron

madcadder
2005-05-26, 09:58 PM
Hello all

I am attempting to label a series of roads using Map to query the text in. I am able to insert and align the text to the road line segment using "(angtos .angle)", but am now wanting to have the text offset a distance off the road. How/where do I insert a value to shift the text off the road line?

On a similar vein, (angtos .angle) sometimes causes the text to be entered 180 degrees off from the W-E or N-S orientation that I'm looking for my text to have. The text is rarely 0,90,180,270, so I'm quite a bit beyond my depth as to how to force the text to be flipped to ~0 degrees and ~90. BEFORE I would offset.

If anyone is still hanging in here with me, when I used to have ArcView available, I use to be able simplify some of my line work before I queried it with Map, thus minimizing the number of labels it threw in for each road line segment. I know about "mapclean", but is there anyway to simplify the line work BEFORE I query in the text?

Thanks in advance.

Ron
You can modify the plotstamp routine i just added to another thread.
It offsets off of the insertion point and then places a text string. should be a close start.