PDA

View Full Version : WHY ARE SUBREGIONS SO HARD TO EDIT?

philipnoland
2005-05-27, 04:16 PM
I recently did a project where I was needing to edit a parking lot. It took for ever to edit. I was able to draw my lines well, however I would be lucky to get only half my subregion after I finished my sketch.

Am I missing something with how I sketch my lines? I trim them all and when I use the spline I zoom in really close to make sure they are connecting.

I am also wondering if the topography has anything to do with it.

My only solution is to creat a second subregion and bring the two as close together as possible. My parking lot ends up with an unneccesary line in but its the best I can do without spending hours on trying to make my subregion work.

Thanks

patricks
2005-05-27, 04:38 PM
I haven't tried that for a toposurface, but on a couple of recent projects we used the split surface tool to show different floor finishes on a finish plan (floor was defined with tile, then regions defined and used the paint bucket to change the tile pattern to carpet, sealed concrete, etc.). It was a real pain to deal with those split regions. Is that what you were doing there?

I think on the larger project I ended up blowing away the whole floor slab, recreating it by itself, and then drawing a second floor of 1/8" thick on top of the slab in the different finish materials.

philipnoland
2005-05-27, 05:56 PM
I am new to Revit. but I have heard of the paint tool. Intrestingly enough I don't know or have not learned of a sure fire way to do different surfaces. Subregions are good because you can calculate area, and for the most part fairly easy to do. That is, the first time you lay on down.
On the project I was on someone else created the topo surface. I then went in and created a lake, a runway, parking lot and driveway etc. After it was red-lined I needed to change the drive. Well all I thought I had to do was select the asphlat subregion then go to edit, and sketch my new lines. I would use the very useful line tools and once I had all lines connected I finished my sketch and then I would have my new surface just like when I first laid it down. However 85% of the time the finish sketch would take longer than normal to calculate and then I would get an error message reading something like, "there is a point outside the....." I am not sure what it was talking about because I could not see any points out side the ........... and it would not show me where the error was.
I can usually trick it but it takes so long to figure out the "trick".

aggockel50321
2005-05-27, 07:05 PM
The way I get it to work is to first lay out all the subregion boundries with detail lines (usually create a new line subcategory for this) first.

Then when constructing the subregion sketches, I use the pick option of the line command and snap to the detail lines.

Once done, I turn off the detail line subcategory.

I seems to solve the adjoining subregion issues.

Wes Macaulay
2005-05-27, 07:38 PM
Philip, it has everything to do with the topo... turn on triangulation and see how the topo has to retriangulate to deal with the subregion!

Consider simplfying the topo or the subregion.

philipnoland
2005-05-27, 07:45 PM
Thank you for the input.
It sounds promising. Could you tell me more about where I can turn on and off the triangulation. Is it with in the creation of the topo, as is the Simplify Surface command.

jkh
2005-05-27, 08:39 PM
Wes,

How do you turn on triangulation? Did a search on this with no hit.

p.vicini
2005-05-27, 10:01 PM
go to view properties - visibility - model categories - topography - triangulation edges to check !!! :-)
but ....what i have to do with?? :-)

Wes Macaulay
2005-05-27, 11:01 PM
By seeing the triangulated edges you get an idea of how much trouble you're going to have with creating the subregions :-D

If you've got a LOT of triangles in the area where you're creating subregions... then simplification will be the order of the day.

p.vicini
2005-05-27, 11:15 PM
Wes ,
i'm just working in a big site plan.....i'll try to use this option, me too i'm having troubles with subregions