PDA

View Full Version : Scheduled sheet issue dates

ctc
2005-06-01, 01:15 AM
Has anyone figured out how to configure the revision schedule to display sheet issue dates [schematic design, design development, construction documents, permit, bid, etc.] without having to hide tiny clouds on every sheet?

If you haven't, and you don't like the idea of hiding tiny clouds on every sheet, how do you schedule sheet issues in Revit?

Up to this point I have created a graphic sheet issue schedule on my default title block and populated it with with text of the default sheet issue milestones. I then save this title block in my specific project folder, modifying its text by adding dates and additional sheet issue milestones, then load it into my project. Just like in the major leagues, I have both sheet issues and revisions in the same schedule on all of my sheets.

I'm trying to figure out a practical way to change the way I use the sheet issue schedule in order to make use of the Revit revision schedule. If I can't configure the Revit revision schedule to include the sheet issues, then it occurs to me that I will have two schedules, a sheet issue schedule the way that I have been doing it, and the Revit revision schedule.

Dimitri Harvalias
2005-06-02, 07:05 PM
Any luck on this one Craig? I think what you have proposed is the simplest solution for now. Not the ideal, but the simplest.The only problem I have with it is that not all drawings will be universally 'issued for tender' or 'issued for construction' at any one time so you may have several different title blocks in your project file which can get messy.
I would like to be able to see a 'milestone' or 'issue' revision as well.
Anyone else have any ideas?

Zig
2005-06-03, 01:47 AM
I spent a few minutes playing with the Revision Schedule Feature and it seems to me that it will be quite useful after a project has been issued for permit or construction. Prior to that there needs to be a "sheet issuance feature" to accommodate the various design review releases, etc. It would be great if it could be incorporated into the same schedule. That said, most of our revisions that occur after the Tender Award are issued as SK's and are tracked/logged in a separate Drawing List.

Steve_Stafford
2005-06-03, 02:42 AM
I think that even though revisions are often the cause of a sheet getting issued again that we can't or shouldn't hope to combine them into one tool? Perhaps a second Sheet Issue Manager similar to the Revision tool?

Sheet issuing is more of a record keeping effort isn't it? The sheet issued instance parameter (already present for each sheet) could suffice if it weren't for the fact that folks want show when the previous issues occurred.

For now, adding a collection of instance parameters to your project and sheets through shared parameters is "the" way.

ctc
2005-06-03, 03:00 AM
For now, adding a collection of instance parameters to your project and sheets through shared parameters is "the" way.

Would you briefly explain?

Steve_Stafford
2005-06-03, 03:21 AM
Would you briefly explain?Sorry...thought you said you were already doing this?

If not...

Disregard this first bit if you already know about shared parameters...
Shared Parameters are based on a file called quite coincidently SharedParameters.txt :) Sorry only if you actually name it that, you can name it whatever you like...

You can create one, File > Shared Parameters then choose Create
You need to provide a name and location for this file and Revit will create it. This needs to be the only one your firm uses, trust me ;-) . Parameters can be organized into groups like Doors, Sheets, Windows or those that Cross Categories into...well...Cross Categories works for me. Last you need to decide now and forever what name you want to use. Change your mind you must delete it and start over. Are we good with parameters?

Open your project (or office template to set up for everyone down the road) Settings > Project Parameters > click Add > Click Shared Parameters > click Select > If all is well and you've done things in the order of this post Revit already knows where this shared parameter file you just created is and you'll see the work you just did presented to you. Fwiw, you could have created the shared parameter here but I was trying to stick to the menus and such. Choose the parameter you want, click OK and back in the Parameter Properties dialog choose the Drawing Sheets category from the list of check boxes and category names. Check Instance and then OK.

Open your sheet family and click the Family Types button in the design bar. Click Label in the Family design bar tab. Click somewhere on the drawing that makes sense for the label location and when the dialog box appears, click Add then Select in the Parameter Types frame. Here you select the same shared parameter you created and then used in the project (template). Now click OK until you are back to the sheet and you can format and position the label accordingly.

You need a shared parameter for each instance of information you intend to use on your sheet for as many times as you anticipate issuing sheets on your project. Start with something like 5? Add more if you need them...kind of like Jay Leno's Doritos commercial...issue all you want we'll make more?

When you load this sheet family into your project or template the parameters you created and added with labels will be available for data entry either through the properties of the sheet or by clicking on the portion of the sheet where they are, ? marks will appear where they are.

This is quick from memory...I'll proof it in a bit when my kids settle down, hopefully they will??

Dimitri Harvalias
2005-06-03, 04:32 PM
I've managed a sneaky little workaround with one company I'm doing work for. Their drawing sheet has their firm logo on it and the logo contains a region of soild filled area. I've decided I'll just hide my tiny little revision clouds in the logo's filled area.

Not great, but at least they don't show up anywhere and I don't have to hide them.

beegee
2005-06-03, 11:44 PM
Dimitri,

Why wouldn't you just have the cloud placed somewhere outside the sheet boundary ?

I've managed a sneaky little workaround with one company I'm doing work for. Their drawing sheet has their firm logo on it and the logo contains a region of soild filled area. I've decided I'll just hide my tiny little revision clouds in the logo's filled area.

Not great, but at least they don't show up anywhere and I don't have to hide them.

ctc
2005-06-06, 08:28 PM
Has anyone else experienced the fact that the text justification in the revision schedule does not respond to a change in its justification?

Whether I select left justified, right justified, or center, all of the text displays as center justified.

ctc
2005-06-06, 08:49 PM
(See post above for Shared Parameters)

Wow! I find this a bit hard to follow. Do you see an improvement in funtionality in your methood over what I do?

On your office's standard title block, create a sheet issue table using drafting lines. Populate the table with annotation for standard sheet issue milestones. Save the title block into your standard project template.

Start a new job, copy your offices standard title block into your current project directory, open up the title block, add a date for the current sheet issue, save and load into your current project. VoilĂ ! All sheets now display the current sheet issue date.

Steve_Stafford
2005-06-06, 09:21 PM
Wow! I find this a bit hard to follow. Do you see an improvement in funtionality in your methood over what I do?Sorry...shared parameters are a bit arcane. Maybe it would be easier to see if I posted an example? Then you could compare...

Steve_Stafford
2005-06-06, 10:04 PM
An example for your use to compare. The titleblock file is loaded into the project file and each use the shared parameter file to establish the connection between the family and the project.

Dimitri Harvalias
2005-06-07, 12:26 AM
Dimitri,

Why wouldn't you just have the cloud placed somewhere outside the sheet boundary ?
I place my revision clouds on my sheet view and when I put them outside the sheet boundary I have to be sure the print settings don't get messed up. I generally like to keep the sheet view clean so I can always plot centered.
Did you mean you put your revisions in the viewport and not the sheet or are you just better organized with your plot setup?

beegee
2005-06-07, 12:36 AM
>>
Did you mean you put your revisions in the viewport and not the sheet or are you just better organized with your plot setup?
I don't know about better organised, but the plot set-up hasn't been a problem.

Dimitri Harvalias
2005-06-07, 07:06 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong Beegee but if you put anything outside the boundaries of your sheet (in the sheet view) and plot the drawing it will use all objects to calculate the extents. That's what I mean about messing up the plotting.

beegee
2005-06-07, 07:26 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong Beegee but if you put anything outside the boundaries of your sheet (in the sheet view) and plot the drawing it will use all objects to calculate the extents. That's what I mean about messing up the plotting.
Well no, not always. It depends on a range of factors, including the printer and printer driver as well as the print setup.

For example, if I draw some long radiating lines from a sheet, in sheet view, then, window in to the sheet, then in Printer Setup, select print current window ( note not visible portion of current window ),
Centre, No Margin, Zoom 100% > I will get just the sheet ( no extraneous linework ) printing on a Canon BJC 6500.

Not an exact science though.

bowlingbrad
2005-06-07, 11:34 AM
We just use the binding edge. This just makes it tough because in a large set you have to copy the first to clipboard, go into each sheet and paste-current view. It would be nice to have a paste aligned to all sheets (or select all sheet names). Paste aligned only works with levels. Wish list item?

ctc
2005-06-07, 01:48 PM
An example for your use to compare. The titleblock file is loaded into the project file and each use the shared parameter file to establish the connection between the family and the project.
The launch fails when I attempt to open these files. I believe that Revit is treating them like shared parameters but can't find them on my computer.

Steve_Stafford
2005-06-07, 02:23 PM
The launch fails when I attempt to open these files. I believe that Revit is treating them like shared parameters but can't find them on my computer.What does launch fail mean? Revit won't open them? Are you using 8? Shared parameters wouldn't prevent you from opening a file. There is no dynamic link between these files. You could throw away the shared parameter file and it would have no effect on the project. That is unless you wanted to use them in another...

khomburg
2005-09-27, 02:42 PM
When I first tried the option Steve presented above with the shared parameters it appeared that if I changed the information on one sheet it would automatically update all the sheets in the project to have the same information. This is what I want. Now for some reason when I try it each sheet can be changed independently. Can anyone give me some insight?

LRaiz
2005-09-27, 02:56 PM
When I first tried the option Steve presented above with the shared parameters it appeared that if I changed the information on one sheet it would automatically update all the sheets in the project to have the same information. This is what I want. Now for some reason when I try it each sheet can be changed independently. Can anyone give me some insight?
I responded yesterday to a similar inquiry in this post (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?p=192418#post192418)

captainbunsaver
2006-07-28, 08:39 PM
We are trying to put one of these together now. Has it changed with the release of 9?

TC

beegee
2006-07-30, 06:40 AM
No, it hasn't changed.

We are trying to put one of these together now. Has it changed with the release of 9?

TC

jshebert
2006-08-04, 07:25 PM
Just like in the major leagues, I have both sheet issues and revisions in the same schedule on all of my sheets.

I face the same thing. At the moment, I am using plain-old "dumb text" (per sheet) on top of titleblocks that have the "grid lines" built-in already, and then I jam a revision marker (not quite a dumb object, but not a real tag either) in the first field when applicable.

After playing with the revision schedule, and seeing how nicely it works, I realize now that I cannot use it as it was intended. I would need "dumb text" to represent the permit issue date, so as not to have it mistaken for "Revision 1." Then I would need to place the revision schedule immediately underneath in the titleblock family. If I needed more "sheet issues," I'd have to go back in and plow through the titleblock families (yes, we need more than one titleblock) to add another field for dumb text, and then move the revision schedule down a notch.

- OR -

I would have to have all our users go through each and every page and draw little tiny revision clouds in the filled regions of our titleblock to make sure the permit submission date shows on every sheet.

Either method will inevitably bring about the same response from users: 1) Why do I have to use dumb text? I thought Revit was smarter than AutoCAD! - OR - 2) Why do I have to draw little tiny revision clouds? I thought Revit was smarter than AutoCAD!

Hopefully, the factory can add a couple nice fields to the Revision Schedule to make it suitable for major-league use: 1) We need the opportunity to start from Seq. 0, so that the first revision can be (delta)1. 2) We need the opportunity to choose between a "revision issue" which shows up only where the revision clouds show up, or a "sheet issue," which always shows up on every sheet. These two items would let most of the world be able to customize it to whatever they do, in regards to issuance and revisions.

This way we can have one schedule do it all, and avoid having to "work-around" which is becoming an over-used phrase these days. Until then, I will continue to use dumb text. The shared parameter idea from Steve is along the right lines, but inevitably, you will have to go back in and add/subtract extra fields, and now we have titleblocks for every job. Might as well be using AutoCAD xref'd borders at that point...

I know it sounds like I am complaining. I think the revision schedule is awesome, and the fact that it knows what sheets have which revisions is the coolest! I just want to be able to use it for what the company has intended for this particular field, and have the end user be excited that he/she has one less thing to worry about because they use Revit!

Chad Smith
2006-08-06, 09:13 PM
2) We need the opportunity to choose between a "revision issue" which shows up only where the revision clouds show up, or a "sheet issue," which always shows up on every sheet.I don't think it's an either/or case, but rather needing to be able to mix the two revision options into the one Revision Sequence. I'd like to have the option to be able to issue some sheets with revisions and issue others just as a sheet issue to keep them in the same revision sequence.
Maybe in the Revisions dialogue box we could have a button for each sequence number which would allow us to pick the sheets we would like to issue, saving us having to open them and add the little revision clouds.

joekozelka
2017-09-29, 09:12 AM
Hello

I have created an Issue sheet in Revit that matches the companies previous Issue sheet. the sheet names are automated as are the organisations and people who receive the drawings, the issue date is manually added once per issue, the issue letters are added whilst in the sheet view. I accept that the Sheet number system is not in line with 1192.