PDA

View Full Version : Site Modelling

Davied2
2005-06-01, 09:32 AM
Hi There

Its probably been asked before but here goes anyway.

What is the opinion of the forum with regards to creating a new site layout.

I have started by importing a surveyors topographical survey and started creating a topo surface over the whole site, making one huge surface.

Then, my aim was to split the regions to indicate whether each region was road - tarmac, grass etc, tracing around roads etc.

Is this the general way - your comments would be appreciated.

Dave

aggockel50321
2005-06-01, 12:31 PM
Then, my aim was to split the regions to indicate whether each region was road - tarmac, grass etc, tracing around roads etc.

You have two choices here.

One is to split up the topo using the split surface command, and then assign site material types to the individual pieces of topo.

The other is to use subregions, and assign material types to the subregions, which leaves the topo as one surface.

Lately, I tend to use subregions, but first lay out the boudries with detail lines, and then when creating the subregion sketch, use the pick option and select the detail lines. You'll find that once you create a subregion, you cannot select it's boundry with the pick option, & you'll find it difficult to lay out adjacent regions. If you use the detail line boudries, It'll eliminate that problem.

Other than that, if you site is large, I tend to do the site layout as a separate project, & then link it into the building model....

hth