PDA

View Full Version : Importing Autocad SHX Font

kshawks
2005-06-01, 04:14 PM
I have searched the forums for this topic and have found several that are helpful; unfortunately they have not answered all of my questions. We are working with a firm that uses an Autocad SHX font call OR_LD.SHX. I tried modifying the shxfontmap.txt file; however I could not find a ttf that matches. I have attached the SHX file and I looking for some help solving this problem.

Thanks

bowlingbrad
2005-06-01, 04:17 PM
I've heard of a website that will convert hand lettering to a ttf font. They might be able to convert an shx. For the life of me, I cannot remember... Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Danny Polkinhorn
2005-06-01, 09:14 PM
http://www.tcfonts.com/ See services at the bottom.

kshawks
2005-06-02, 03:34 PM
Thanks Danny & bowlingbrad. I will take a look at the sites i am also considering asking a local printing company about the fonts they have.

hand471037
2005-06-02, 04:17 PM
Thanks Danny & bowlingbrad. I will take a look at the sites i am also considering asking a local printing company about the fonts they have.

Also I believe it's possible to convert an AutoCAD font into a TTF one if you've got the right tools. I think you'd need Adobe Illustrator and Macromedia's Fontographer to do this, but you should be able to make a sheet in AutoCAD with ever character of the Font, save it as a DWG, Open it in Illustrator, convert the Font to Outlines/Lines there, and then import each character into Fontographer... You might be able to do it with Illustrator alone too, I'm not certain. Sounds like too much work, however, esp. for crummy-looking AutoCAD fonts. ;)

HawkeyNut
2006-12-14, 08:19 PM
Speaking of SHX fonts, I seem to remember there being a setting for swapping out SHX fonts with TTF upon DWG import. Does anyone remember where that setting is?

After a little more searching I found the following thread: