PDA

View Full Version : decals on curved surfaces-is it possible?

Kaotik
2005-06-01, 05:41 PM
Hi-my problem is i need to place a bmp. or "decal" on a curved surface-can that be done? if so how can i make that happen? any workarounds possible would be great-i cant even define a curved surface as a work plane to start with. thanks again for your time and help!

Sincerely,
Brian Andresen

cosmickingpin
2005-06-01, 06:07 PM
Let me guess you are trying to dp a flag? As long as it is a single radius (one single arc) you can do it, I have done it, just apply the decal to the single ared surface and you will see it assume the same arc. You can't do it with elpises, but if you have may single radii then break up you image into several decals all synced together and and then place then onto each single arced surfaces. you could try it as a material, then you get a whole can of worms- as you well know. Sometimes I miss UVW mapping (ie VIZ).

Hi-my problem is i need to place a bmp. or "decal" on a curved surface-can that be done? if so how can i make that happen? any workarounds possible would be great-i cant even define a curved surface as a work plane to start with. thanks again for your time and help!

Sincerely,
Brian Andresen

Kaotik
2005-06-01, 06:14 PM
oh my god i feel so stupid-your right-i didnt even try it first-i assumed if i couldnt make a work plane on it-it wouldnt let me put a decal either-thankyou so much cosmickingpin.67846! oh... and since you brought up a flag-i do need to put some in the same model-do you have any idea where i could find some already made??? or do you really think i could put it together in pieces like you said? well-thanks again and im so glad you responded so soon-this site amazes me-

thanks again,
Brian Andresen

cosmickingpin
2005-06-01, 06:24 PM
Here are two of them, one is a naked pole, add your own flag, the other has an American flag already on it. In terms of model resources, there is a family exchange right here on augi, www.revitcity.com, www.3dcafe.com -in there free stuff section you might find something you like, these are not Revit files, usually MAX files with you will need to convert to dwgs to import to Revit.There used to be an exchange called RUGI, but it has been turned into an infected web page which gives you sypware and other nasty things so stay away from it.

"or do you really think i could put it together in pieces like you said?" it will take some eyeing up and some trial and error to get it to look right, but in theory I don't see why it can't be done. Do an in place family with several curves, for a typical flag I think three or four sections should be enough, just cut up you images to these right lengths, and then either make it a two sided or place two sets of decals to represent each side of the flag., give it like 75% transparency and you will get a nice cloth effect as well.

rtcorpuz
2005-06-02, 02:18 AM
Try this thread http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=2491&highlight=FLAG+POLE