PDA

View Full Version : Sloping Eyebrow Dormer

Clyne Curtis
2005-06-01, 07:47 PM
I have a client who would like to show sloped eyebrow dormer roofs similar to the attached image. I'm thinking something along the lines of a blended extrusion, but, can I project or join that into the main roof? Thanks for any input.

Clyne

luigi
2005-06-02, 09:28 AM
I am responding because nobody has so far, but I am sure there are better people to give you a more full answer....

What I would do, is first create my main roof (this will give me some planes/angles to work with)
then I would create the roof, as you mentioned, with a blend (through In Place Component Solid creation)
Within this component, I would also create a Void to cut the main roof, so that the new roof will fit. While within the component family, just use the Cut Geometry to cut the void out of the main roof...Exit the component
Then join the component to the main roof.

Cut a section at the middle of the dormer and check to see if the geometry are joining properly...you will see if the void you used needs to be adjusted or not.

When you are done with one dormer, you can then copy this, mirror, etc. The only time you will need to modify the dormer component is when the slope of the roof is different (also when the dormer is closer or further away fro mt he peak of the roof)

p.s. If I gave you more info than you asked for...Yes, you can join the In Place component roof to the main roof, one you finished the component...But you will need to either cut the main roof with the Opening command, or from within the dormer component with a void....

I hope this helps...

Peace,

Clyne Curtis
2005-06-02, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the input Luigi, your method worked good. I'm just glad I don't have to frame it up!

Clyne

ejburrell67787
2005-06-02, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the input Luigi, your method worked good. I'm just glad I don't have to frame it up!

Clyne
Can you post some images so we can see how you constructed it and how it looks in the model?

Cheers, Elrond