PDA

View Full Version : Corner post - Can I get rid of it?

A3D
2005-06-02, 10:07 AM
Hi...

Man I'm tired of trying all sorts of things... is there anyway to get rid of that corner post?
I enclose 2 images - one the railing and the other one of the sketch.

I appreciate an fast answer.
I'm still on Revit 7

Thank you

Paul P.
2005-06-02, 10:48 AM
Arquitrad, in the railing properties click edit new, then click edit next to Baluster Placement, at the bottom of the dialog box is a section called Posts in the middle of this it says corner post set the baluster family to none and it will remove the corner post you are referring to.

Hope that helps.

Regards, Paul.

A3D
2005-06-02, 12:24 PM
Thank you Paul, but it won't work...
I enclose a sample file for anyone to try to get rid of that pesky corner post.
Why on earth you just can't check a box or simply delete a post the same way you delete a panel in a curtain wall? Just a question

bowlingbrad
2005-06-02, 12:43 PM
Select the properties of the railing. Edit the baluster placement. Select None for corner post. It goes away!

Paul P.
2005-06-02, 12:47 PM
Arquitrad, the way I suggested works fine, I have tried it using your file in both R7 & 8. I might not have explained myself clearly, you don't have to edit the railing in sketch mode just using the element properties dialog box by either picking the railing and then right click and properties in the dialog box or pick the railing and select the properties icon on the tool bar.

Attached is your file without the corner post.

Hope that helps.

Regards, Paul.

A3D
2005-06-02, 01:10 PM
I guess I'm the one who didn't explain properly. I want ONLY the corner post to disappear.
I want to have all the posts but the corner one.
If I set corner post to none, all the posts disappear.
I recognize that I'm a pretty new user but it shouldn't be THAT difficult to make a railing without a corner post - or am I so very wrong?

Anyway, thank you for your effort.

Greetings,
Razvan

bowlingbrad
2005-06-02, 01:17 PM
All you need to do is select a post for the start and end. If you look at the image capture in my previous post, the start and end posts are set to none. Set them to something and the posts will appear on the ends.

A3D
2005-06-02, 01:31 PM
OK, done that. And trust me I've tried a lot of combinations. But now only displays the posts at the beginning and at the end of the railing - none of the intermediary ones.

In the sketch image image I've broke the lines so that I could have a post at those interruptions. However it happens that I don't want a post on the corner.

I need to have a few intermediary posts. Is is possible to do them using the railing tool or should I insert them as a generic model family?

Greetings,
Razvan

ejburrell67787
2005-06-02, 01:45 PM
In the sketch image image I've broke the lines so that I could have a post at those interruptions. However it happens that I don't want a post on the corner.

If I understand you correctly - you need to do the sketch line as one continuous line, not break it where you want posts. If you break the sketch line then all the posts are, in effect, start/end post, whereas if you have a continuous line they will be intermiediate posts. (Then control the spacing of the intermediate posts within the property dialogue box.)

A3D
2005-06-02, 02:00 PM
Then control the spacing of the intermediate posts within the property dialogue box.

How do you do this precisely?

Anyway, I think it's faster to do it the dumb way - I'll have a railing with rails and balusters but no posts. The posts will be placed as generic families. AutoCAD like but it will work.

Thank you

ejburrell67787
2005-06-02, 03:16 PM
How do you do this precisely?

Anyway, I think it's faster to do it the dumb way - I'll have a railing with rails and balusters but no posts. The posts will be placed as generic families. AutoCAD like but it will work.

Thank you
Well whatever works in the time you've got! I suggest you look at the tutorials / help files on railings, you'll save youself a lot of messing around!

Best wishes.

mikevswain1
2005-06-02, 05:37 PM
Ok idea time..

Use your original railing family to create a railing in all places 'except' the corner. Stop / Finish the family where you want your last post to be.

Create a new family with no posts, and use that family to create your corner condition.

a much better solution than the generic gamily workaround, imo.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

bowlingbrad
2005-06-02, 06:17 PM
Okay, here goes my explanation...
Made two railing types. One for short sections (type 1) and one for long section (type 2). Placed start and end posts 150 from ends for type 1 and 100 for type 2. Eliminated corner posts altogether. Duplicated the picket pattern to fill in only between the posts.

Did this in version 8. Here's a screen capture of type 1 balusters.

HTH