PDA

View Full Version : Detail View Issues

sbrown
2005-06-03, 08:20 PM
Here is the problem I'm having.

If I am in a floor plan and I do a callout it defaults to a detail view without me knowing. Lets say I'm doing a plan callout to put lighting fixtures on the wall or something. Well revit doesn't let you place wall based components in a detail view. Now I've learned the hardway to check the type of callout your are making before you make it. You also can't place an elevation in a plan detail view. So lets say you want to do a casework detail, you think, well this should be a detail, so I do a detail view. well then you want to place an elevation tag, you can't. There are just enough of these slight differences to drive a man insane.

Why / What are all the limitations of callout - detail views? I'm finding them very irritating, that I'm constantly placing a section, wanting a "real" section only to find out that I accidently created a detail view. I cannot switch between a detail view section to a real section so I have to delete the section and start over.

My request would be the when you click section of callout the default is allways a real view and only if you manually do the pull down do you get a detail view.

For some odd reason if you just create a VIEW>NEW>DRAFTING VIEW to it defaults to a building section drafting view not just a plain one and I can't figure out anyway to change it.

beegee
2005-06-03, 11:19 PM
>>My request would be the when you click section of callout the default is always a real view and only if you manually do the pull down do you get a detail view.
>>.
That's exactly the way it works for me. Obviously the metric template must be set differently.

Mr Spot
2005-06-05, 11:23 PM
Don't think its to do with the metric template as ours defaults to detail view also when creating callouts...which was based from the metric template.

I'm sure it can be changed in the template though.

patricks
2005-06-06, 03:13 AM
For some odd reason if you just create a VIEW>NEW>DRAFTING VIEW to it defaults to a building section drafting view not just a plain one and I can't figure out anyway to change it.

I have been wondering the same thing as well. We have a bunch of standard details in our template, and they're all grouped under one type of Drafting View, but any newly created drafting views all end up under a Building Section drafting view. What is that?? A drafting view should be just a drafting view, it's not associated with anything else and shouldn't be grouped under anything else.

Mr Spot
2005-06-06, 04:56 AM
I think drafting views and detail views are being confused here.

a drafting view is a complete 2D drawing. A detail view is a specific type of section or callout. It has specific properties built in that turn off certain elements.

rod.74246
2005-06-06, 08:35 AM
I don;t think there is any confusion. I just checked this. When you create the call out you have the option of a "floor plan" or a "detail view". Same thing happens with all callouts, tried section as well.

You definitely can't place a wall hosted item in the detail view. (ie not a drafting view).

Never noticed this before, as my plan callouts set to floor plan type by default.

patricks
2005-06-06, 01:19 PM
I think drafting views and detail views are being confused here.

a drafting view is a complete 2D drawing. A detail view is a specific type of section or callout. It has specific properties built in that turn off certain elements.

Yeah I was referring to his question about different types of drafting views.

Shaun v Rooyen
2005-06-06, 01:33 PM
Open the template file you use. Select callouts, then floor plan from the type select. place the callout. now delete it. save the template file. From now on, any new project created using the new template will default callouts, to floor plan.

szechuan3
2005-06-06, 09:58 PM
Another frustration regarding 'detail views' is that you cannot reference them within a floor plan view. We got caught creating plan details using detail view - happy that it sorted seperately from the floor plans in the Project Browser - only to find if we had a similiar detail to reference we weren't able to. A lot of work creating a new floor plan detail and copy/pasting the 2D info from the 'detail' view so that we were able to reference. Since then we only use the detail view setting for details we know for a fact we won't have to reference - other than that we don't bother with them - we don't see what their value is.

Steve_Stafford
2005-06-07, 11:09 PM
While we are "piling on" detail views. Help says that there is a parameter called "show in intersecting views" for detail views...yet I don't see it in any of the detail views I've messed around with. Something amiss?

patricks
2005-06-07, 11:14 PM
Hmm I see it (Show In parameter) in both my building section views and in my detail views.

Steve_Stafford
2005-06-07, 11:26 PM
Hmm I see it (Show In parameter) in both my building section views and in my detail views.I see it in 7.0 but not the latest build Autodesk Revit Building 8 - 20050523_2300

beegee
2005-06-08, 12:02 AM
"show in intersecting views" and " show in parent view only " are available parameters in a detail plan callout, but not in a section detail view. ( In 8.0 )

patricks
2005-06-08, 12:09 AM
"show in intersecting views" and " show in parent view only " are available parameters in a detail plan callout, but not in a section detail view. ( In 8.0 )

oh but they are! :p

beegee
2005-06-08, 12:19 AM
Not in RB8 though.

patricks
2005-06-08, 03:06 AM
Not in RB8 though.

That pic I just attached is from the project I'm working on right now in RB8 build 20050523_2300

beegee
2005-06-08, 03:13 AM
Hmmm, I'll see yours and raise you one ...

That pic I just attached is from the project I'm working on right now in RB8 build 20050523_2300