PDA

View Full Version : Delete or move one dimension in string

Michelle Gibson
2005-06-06, 02:07 PM
Is there a way to delete one dimension in a string and still keep the others? Alternately, can you "stretch" one of the dimensions out of alignment in the string (I have a call out bubble that makes it impossible to keep the string in one line.

Also, is there a way to keep the end of the witness line in place when you want to adjust the dimension string line location? I am playing with "edit witness line" but am making a mess of a long string of dimensions.

thanks!

Shaun v Rooyen
2005-06-06, 02:21 PM
Is there a way to delete one dimension in a string and still keep the others? Alternately, can you "stretch" one of the dimensions out of alignment in the string (I have a call out bubble that makes it impossible to keep the string in one line.

Select the dimension string. Right click on the node(little blue box) that needs to be deleted, select "Delete Witness Line"
All these little blue boxes allow you to perform various functions, like click and drag the one under the text to move it elsewhere.

Also, is there a way to keep the end of the witness line in place when you want to adjust the dimension string line location? I am playing with "edit witness line" but am making a mess of a long string of dimensions.

thanks!

Edit the type properties of the dimension. Change "Witness line control" to "fixed to dimension line" then change the "Witness Line Length".

Michelle Gibson
2005-06-06, 02:27 PM
Thanks. I just tried that and when I highlight string, then right click on one of the nodes and say delete, I lose the whole string. I did it again with only the one dimension in the string and it still deleted the whole string. I was wondering if there is an option to break up the string so that I can play with location of one element or delete it.

Any suggestions?

luigi
2005-06-06, 02:30 PM
Is there a way to delete one dimension in a string and still keep the others?
If you mean deleting one dimension and keep the left side of the erased dimension and the right side intact...then the answer is no. You can delete dimensions from within a string, but if you have dimension to point A and B and C, and delete B, you would get a dimension of A and C.

Alternately, can you "stretch" one of the dimensions out of alignment in the string (I have a call out bubble that makes it impossible to keep the string in one line. If I understood you, the answer is No, you would have to move the whole string of dimension to mis the callout buble, or just move the dim. text.

I think I understood you, and the answer is yes, you just stretch the dimension up or down, left or right...the "edit witness line" is when you want to add additional dimensions to the string, not modify the existing string.

thanks!
If after you read my post you still mean it....then, You are welcome!!! ;)

luigi
2005-06-06, 02:31 PM
Thanks. I just tried that and when I highlight string, then right click on one of the nodes and say delete, I lose the whole string. I did it again with only the one dimension in the string and it still deleted the whole string. I was wondering if there is an option to break up the string so that I can play with location of one element or delete it.

Any suggestions?There are 2 blue points, one is in the middle of the dimension line, and the other at the origin. You need to right mouse click the middle blue control point, and then delete

Shaun v Rooyen
2005-06-06, 02:36 PM
Michelle if you use just delete then yes it will delete the whole string, you need to be on the correct node to get "Delete Witness Line" or "Edit Witness Line" See Att pic. Notice the yellowish square is the selected node.
Hope this is clearer

J. Grouchy
2005-06-06, 02:50 PM
There is no need to right-click/delete individual 'nodes'...
In "Edit Witness Line" mode, just re-select the referenced point or line and it will remove that reference from the dimension string. These references typically show up as red to make them identifiable.

JamesVan
2005-06-07, 02:30 PM
Here's a quick demonstration of basic dimension editing so we can all have a common understanding of the process.

Michelle Gibson
2005-06-07, 03:00 PM
I run the file and there is no sound. I have sound for all other programs. Is there a problem with the zip file?

JamesVan
2005-06-07, 03:04 PM
No sound, just the visual. I charge extra for that! :wink:

I just put this together quickly to get the point across.

Michelle Gibson
2005-06-07, 03:17 PM
Thanks.

I can follow the editing. From your first screen, you had a dim of 14' for the building recess. I wanted to delete that dimension only, and keep the remaining three. If I follow the visuals, I need to edit the end of the string back to the dimension I want to delete, then add a new string without the 14' dim. I can then put the 14' dim in as an individual dim and have the string location as required. The remaining string would still act as a single identity.

Correct?

JamesVan
2005-06-07, 03:22 PM
That's it. For any dimension that needs to be moved independently or have a suffix or prefix, it needs to be a separate entity. Remember, you can move the non-continuous strings on either side at one time by using the CTRL key to select multiple.

CelesteBancos
2016-01-27, 09:49 PM
You can delete dimensions from within a string, but if you have dimension to point A and B and C, and delete B, you would get a dimension of A and C.

In more recent versions of Revit it is possible to delete just one dimension from a string of dimensions, so as to end up with two new dimension strings separated by a gap. Use tab to select just the dimension you want to delete: http://revitoped.blogspot.com/2012/03/splitting-dimension-string.html