PDA

View Full Version : Roof/Dormer issue

harkeychad
2005-06-06, 05:36 PM
I placed a dormer and now need to cut the roof so it does not show up in the room. I thought I was to use the opeing tool on the modeling bar, but I can not get it to work. Here is a jpeg of it. Could use some help.

Thanks

Scott D Davis
2005-06-06, 05:42 PM
You were on the right track!

Use the Opening Tool from Modeling.
Then pick "Pick a roof to be cut by a dormer opening."
Now pick the 'host' roof (the one to be cut)
Next, pick the Joined Roof , side face of a wall, or a joined face of the roof to define dormer boundary.
click Finish Boundary.

That should do it!

harkeychad
2005-06-06, 06:25 PM
Well it is not working for me. Maybe I did something wrong with the dormer

Scott D Davis
2005-06-06, 06:46 PM
would you please post a piece of you file with the roof and dormer area?

harkeychad
2005-06-06, 06:52 PM
How do I post a piece of my file, since the whole file is huge?

lev.lipkin
2005-06-06, 07:11 PM
One way to reduce size is to copy roof, dormer roof and dormer walls to clipboard, and paste them to empty project.
Or contact support with large model.

harkeychad
2005-06-06, 08:08 PM
I will do this but I have to do it tuesday morning. Thanks for your help. I will have it posted here in the morning.

harkeychad
2005-06-07, 02:03 PM
Scott,

Here is my file of the issue I am talking about. I had to delete about everything to get it down enough to send. As well as my problem with the dormer I have 3 others on this file. If you can help with those as well, that would be great. I need to be able to trim the two gables together. You can see in 3dview 1 that the underside of the roofs need to be trimmed. I have tried many times, but probably doing the wrong thing. Another is I need to trim the roof structure on the porch. The rafters are sticking thought the wall. And the last one is about custom triangle windows which is on the other side. Someone has sent a type of this window but I can not figure out how to make them.

If you have time to help me on these issues, that would be great. If not, I will be happy with just the dormer. Thanks so much for your time.

I wish I had a class to go to, or get someone in the office to instruct a little.

Chad

Scott D Davis
2005-06-07, 06:05 PM
Here's a solution, and i think it's what you are looking for. Couple things:

1. I removed the portion of your Roof Sketch for the Dormer which formed the 45 degree lines, which allowed the dormer to look 'attached' to the main roof. These two lines were replaced by a single 90 degree line, forming a rectangular shape in plan. Then I used the Roof Join tool to actually 'attach' the dormer roof to the main roof.

2. I the used the Opening tool from the Modeling Bar, and picked "Cut the roof vertically", and then swtiched to a wireframe roof view, using "pick" to pick the geometry of the walls and roof lines to form the 'opening' to cut out of the main roof.

3. Had to play around with wall joins slightly at the dormer to get the walls cleaned up.

4. Threw in a section at the dormer/roof intersection to see how they came together.

5. Threw in a camera to see the dormer from the interior.

Is that what you are trying to do??

harkeychad
2005-06-07, 06:10 PM
I am using verion 7 so I could not open what you sent. Could you send it in 7?

Scott D Davis
2005-06-07, 06:44 PM
sure, I'll have to redo the work in an r7 file.....give me a bit....

harkeychad
2005-06-07, 06:46 PM
sorry, I need to get 8 loaded so i can be in the loop.