PDA

View Full Version : Tagging legend objects

patricks
2005-06-07, 03:38 AM
In our window legends we usually put the description along with the window's symbol below each window in the legend. I was hoping that I could just tag the window in the legend so it would display the same symbol we use in plan and elevation views, but the Tag button is grayed out. Do I have to resort to drawing the symbol with lines and text? :?

Scott D Davis
2005-06-07, 05:20 AM
Don't 'tag' the window, place an annotation symbol that represents the tag, and put it near the window legend symbol.

patricks
2005-06-07, 01:22 PM
Do you mean like create a keynote that looks the same as our window tags? I did that last night, seems to work okay. I'm also using them for curtain walls since I'm showing them in our window type elevations.

Scott D Davis
2005-06-07, 04:44 PM
No, a legend view takes representations of items and places them in the legend view. Just as you placed a "window" in the legend view, place a "window tag" in the legend view. You can't actually "tag" the window, but you can insert a window tag, and place it near the window as if it were an actual window tag.

clarkitekt
2005-06-07, 06:08 PM
Ins't that somewhat un-Revit like though? The legend item is made to represent a particular family. Why can't there be a tag that picks up and displays the parameters of that family?

There are some other posts about this...

Mr Spot
2005-06-07, 09:15 PM
The legend components are representations of the family type. Tags typically pick up on the instance parameters of the family. Because the legend components don't reflect any particular instance of the family then they can't be tagged. That said though i think we should be able to use tags that report type data...

patricks
2005-06-07, 11:02 PM
Hmm the window and wall type tags we use have the Type Mark parameter in the Type properties, not in the instance properties.

SalubraSubaru
2006-07-25, 03:46 PM
Don't 'tag' the window, place an annotation symbol that represents the tag, and put it near the window legend symbol.

I know this an old thread, but I haven't found much on this topic. My question is once you've placed a window tag into the window legend how can you edit the text inside the window tag to correctly display the window type?

I've tried creating a new family and replace the label with text instead and it still will not allow me to edit the text within the tag when in the legend. Do you have to use a filled region to hide the already displayed text and create your own text inside the tag? If so this is a huge workaround, surely there's got to be another way.