PDA

View Full Version : Gable roof with offset peak

DanielleAnderson
2005-06-07, 10:54 PM
Sometimes I am embarrassed to ask these kinds of questions after using this product for so long, but I suppose new things do come up all the time.
Here's my current situation. I have a gable roof that is atypical. The wall top plate on one side is lower than on the other side and the peak does not land right in the middle. I currently have built the two halves separately. The problem is that as sometimes happens with revit, you move one thing and others shift unknowingly as well. So, my roofs are constantly having to be realigned and are still somehow always off by about 3/256th of an inch--grr...
I am wondering if it is possible to create a single gable roof where the peak can be controlled (I am pretty sure this is not possible), or if anyone has any brilliant ideas on how to make this work a little better for me. There are a couple other issues with this roof, but we'll start with that one for now. ;)

Thanks in advance.

patricks
2005-06-07, 11:07 PM
You certainly can do it! I had to do it on a church gymnasium in order to put the peak of the roof centered over the basketball court, but the court itself was not centered in the building. Took some thought and trigonometry to figure it out, but I got it.

Pick the slope-defining line on the higher eave and go to properties and type in a value for Offset from Plate or Plate Offset from Base or something like that, and voila!

You will probably have to draw a little cross-sectional diagram and use sines, cosines, and tangents and of course Pythagorus to figure out just how much higher the edge on that side needs to be.

Scott D Davis
2005-06-07, 11:08 PM
is this the idea? If so, just highlight a sketch line of the roof on the higher side, go to properties, and change the "Offset from Plate" to a distance of the difference between the sides. Gable will automatically offset.

patricks
2005-06-07, 11:09 PM
is this the idea? If so, just highlight a sketch line of the roof on the higher side, go to properties, and change the "Offset from Plate" to a distance of the difference between the sides. Gable will automatically offset.

Beat you to it hahaha! :p

I included a personal example, but you included an illustration, so I guess we're even. ;)

stuntmonkee
2005-06-07, 11:12 PM
I think this is what you are trying to do, and I think you are making it too complicated. . . .you can modify the height of each eave separate from the height of the roof. . .instead of under roof properties, you select the footprint line and change the height of just that line to add or subtract from the over all roof height. . .which will give you the varied plate height.

see attached and tell me if this is what your lookin for.

stuntmonkee
2005-06-07, 11:15 PM
:(

lol. . .as I was feverishly working to submitt this to be the first. . .I laughed at myself. . .thinking. . .oh common. . .be the first. . .be the fastest. . .oh. .oh . . .ahh. . .ehehhhhh. . .dang. . .3rd place

patricks
2005-06-07, 11:17 PM
aww iss otay... now look you posted that while I was typing this and now I'm editing this. :p

When I was saying he would have to use trig, I meant that if he needed the peak to be in a certain position (horizontally) then he would have to use trig to figure out how much the one eave would have to be higher than the other, at the specified roof slope, to put the peak in the required place.

Of course if he just wants the one eave a certain distance higher, then just enter the amount.

DanielleAnderson
2005-06-07, 11:48 PM
Okay, so you guys all have the idea, now let me ask this potentially dumb question: is this a new option? or has it been around a while? :Oops:

Scott D Davis
2005-06-07, 11:58 PM
Oh, it's been around since about r1.0.....:shock:

Just kidding! Not sure when it showed up, but it's been available for a while!

DanielleAnderson
2005-06-08, 12:02 AM
Ah, I hate hearing things like that--unused opportunities...but I have to say, I think that was a rather tricky-trick, I would never think to right click on the sketch line...I'll just keep telling myself that at least.
Thanks again.