PDA

View Full Version : Joining 2 walls to form 1 single wall?

Jason
2005-06-07, 11:59 PM
Dear Reviteers,

Is it possible to join 2 idential walls to form one single wall?

J

stuntmonkee
2005-06-08, 12:12 AM
uhhh. . .i think, i want to tell you yes, but dont fully understand your situation.

if you have to wall running exactly in the same direction and they are just split by say a foot. If you drag the end of one to the nearest end of the other, and they are the same wall type with the same location line, and same properties, then it will join it for you to combine into a single wall.

Is that what your asking?

patricks
2005-06-08, 12:15 AM
That's probably it. You couldn't combine 2 walls running side-by-side because it would have to change into a different wall type, and you of course have to make new wall types yourself. You can of course Join Geometry on 2 parallel walls that are right alongside each other. That way a door or window will cut through both walls.

beegee
2005-06-08, 12:18 AM
Even through the walls in the situation Stuntmonkey refers to, will identify as separate walls, the two walls will act as one for most intents, ( moving for instance ) one exception being applying paint finishes.

stuntmonkee
2005-06-08, 12:23 AM
Even through the walls in the situation Stuntmonkey refers to, will identify as separate walls, the two walls will act as one for most intents, ( moving for instance ) one exception being applying paint finishes.

are you sure about that. . .i tested that and everything that i try shows it as being one wall. . .move, delete, copy, change type. . . .if i didn't know I had joined the 2 walls i would never know it was ever separated.

stuntmonkee
2005-06-08, 12:25 AM
paint too . . .

beegee
2005-06-08, 12:30 AM
Hmmm, I see yours - but mine behaves differently :confused:

I'll need to investigate further and get back later.

Jason
2005-06-08, 12:47 AM
I think my situation is same as beegees. after joining the walls it sill acts as 2 seperate walls. When i highlight one wall, the other is still act independently.

J

beegee
2005-06-08, 03:43 AM
Having now tried a couple of tests - I'm getting mixed results. Sometimes the walls join as one homogeneous wall and others they remain as two entities, but move as one.

Werry stwange...

I'm thinking that Trim or Align used on the wall ends results in two walls ( joined ) and that dragging ( most often :mrgreen: ) results in one wall.

bowlingbrad
2005-06-08, 11:29 AM
Bug, or feature?

lev.lipkin
2005-06-08, 01:40 PM
The feature is: Joining Geometry of 2 parallel walls should leave 2 elements with independent properties, allow inserts in one wall to cut automatically through another, and will clean edges between 2 walls (if materials on both sides of the edge are same).

If you see result different from above, please post example here. Thanks.

J. Grouchy
2005-06-08, 01:49 PM
I'm thinking that Trim or Align used on the wall ends results in two walls ( joined ) and that dragging ( most often :mrgreen: ) results in one wall.

That's always how I've known it to be...but I don't know if that was intentional on the part of the makers.

stuntmonkee
2005-06-08, 03:16 PM
The feature is: Joining Geometry of 2 parallel walls should leave 2 elements with independent properties, allow inserts in one wall to cut automatically through another, and will clean edges between 2 walls (if materials on both sides of the edge are same).

If you see result different from above, please post example here. Thanks.

I would check my example, because once this join is made, it is a single wall.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer it this way, it has saved me having to redraw walls with objects in them several times. . .so please don't change it. But in the example posted above, it will change it to a single object.

beegee
2005-06-08, 09:43 PM
I'm pretty sure, before RB 8, there were always two elements, ( hence my initial post ).

I was surprised when I checked Stuntmonkey's file and more surprised when I ran some tests which appear to show inconsistent behaviour.

stuntmonkee
2005-06-08, 10:26 PM
I'm pretty sure that worked in 7 as well. . .I dont have it installed anymore I would test it, but I think i have been using that for a while now.

Nic M.
2005-06-09, 06:23 AM
I'm pretty sure, before RB 8, there were always two elements, ( hence my initial post ).

I was surprised when I checked Stuntmonkey's file and more surprised when I ran some tests which appear to show inconsistent behaviour.
I always thought this was a feature
Just tested it in 5.0 build 20030210_2044
same situation as in stunts file
two walls become 1

but as you stated I also had mixed results according to the situation.

mmodernc
2005-06-10, 09:29 AM
I thought there was a limit of 170mm max spacing of parallel walls to get windows etc to act on both?

tamas
2005-06-10, 04:28 PM
Just to clarify. This thread is about two different "join" cases between two parallel walls:

A. The two walls are collinear. Dragging one end to the other makes one wall out of the two. (Aligning, or other constraint driven moves do not make them one wall.)

B. The two walls are overlapping, but not collinear. Using Join Geometry makes them appear as one wall, but the two walls are still maintained. Windows and doors will start to cut both, as long as they are closer than about 6".

beegee
2005-06-11, 02:22 AM
Tamas,

I've seen inconsistent reults for case A.
I will try to reproduce when I get some time.

bowlingbrad
2005-06-12, 06:22 PM
Tamas,
I have not seen option 'A' work at all in my world. Revit always has kept two walls.

tamas
2005-06-12, 10:01 PM
Tamas,
I have not seen option 'A' work at all in my world. Revit always has kept two walls.
For option 'A' the two walls have to be of the same type and their loc lines collinear. I think it worked like this since I started to work for Revit.

bowlingbrad
2005-06-13, 02:23 AM
Ah, I think it is the location line that has thrown us off. I'll check into that. Thanks!

beegee
2005-06-13, 04:40 AM
Yes, that's it.

Batman
2005-06-13, 04:52 AM
B. The two walls are overlapping, but not collinear. Using Join Geometry makes them appear as one wall, but the two walls are still maintained. Windows and doors will start to cut both, as long as they are closer than about 6".
This doesn't seem to be the case with the windows supplied form the Revit Metric Aus Library. As shown in the attached pic the two walls are joined but window doesn't cut. I'm having some serious problems because of related issues (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=20862). Can anyone help??

tamas
2005-06-13, 12:15 PM
This doesn't seem to be the case with the windows supplied form the Revit Metric Aus Library. As shown in the attached pic the two walls are joined but window doesn't cut. I'm having some serious problems because of related issues (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=20862). Can anyone help??
I think some of the non-US windows cut their wall by a void and not with an opening loop. In this case the void is not deep enough to penetrate the second wall. Try to edit your window family and make the void larger.

Tamas