PDA

View Full Version : Roof cricket help

Wagurto
2005-06-09, 02:55 AM
How do I create this roof cricket? What's wrong with the roof joint command? Only a few times I had made it work most of the time I got an error message although sometimes Revit shows a tempo ray solution it won't be able to save it. Any suggestions? or what am I doing wrong?
Thanks

JTF
2005-06-09, 01:03 PM
I usually build a single slopped roof with a negative slope set at the ridge of the cricket then mirror to the other side.

It helps if you place a section thru the cricket in case you have to raise or lower the ridge to suit.

patricks
2005-06-09, 07:32 PM
I have found that you cannot use the Join Roofs tool if any part of the roof to be joined is overlapping the main roof. It can be quite frustrating.

I had to create a similar cricket for a project and I ended up just figuring out on my own where the edges of the cricket would be (what angles the edges would run in plan) and then I drew a 4-sided diamond shape to represent the cricket in plan and used slope arrows to define the slope. That kept me from having to have tiny little slope-defining lines on each side.

When you draw the 4-sided shape in sketch mode, have a slope arrow running the tails at the corner of each end (the low side corners of the cricket) and have the heads of the arrows meet in the middle where the peak of the cricket will be. Then select the arrows and change the type to slope and define your roof slope.

After the roof is made you will then need to look at an elevation or section and adjust the height of the cricket to exactly where you need it to be.

Steve_Stafford
2005-06-09, 08:41 PM
...I usually build a single sloped roof with a negative slope set at the ridge of the cricket then mirror to the other side...It helps if you place a section thru the cricket in case you have to raise or lower the ridge to suit.Ditto

Fwiw, the attached project also cleanups the adjacent roofs with an inplace void family with two voids. Model more than you need and chop away the excess... Also left some reference planes intact to see how I cheated after using Join Geometry on the two roofs. These define where they overlap when editing the sketch of the roof.

No lack of ways to tackle roofs...:wink:

bclarch
2005-06-09, 09:02 PM
No lack of ways to tackle roofs...:wink:
Extrude a saddle shaped roof. Select the roof and click on "Edit Plan Profile". See attached JPG. Remember, sketch lines cannot overlap. If you look closely you will see a small gap in the sketch lines at the points of the saddle. Also, the vertex of the "V" shaped sketch lines do not touch the side lines.

Wagurto
2005-06-11, 01:42 PM
Thanks guys for your help!. Steve I am interested in your approach. I tried to create a in place void but when I tried to finalize the family the void is not created and I got a message saying that there is nothing to cut. Can you explain a little bit more the procedure to create the voids in the roof?
thanks