PDA

View Full Version : Slipping in a level

studio3p
2004-01-09, 04:45 AM
As I'm gaining greater familiarity with Revit there are a few things I've done in my files that I would do differently had I the chance to do them over again. The latest is that I have a residential model in which I have defined several levels. I wasn't aware at the time that when I created some of these levels I had the option of creating the level without creating a plan to accompany it. I would like to replace the plan level with a non-plan level without losing the associated reference plane. Is there a way to create a new level and indicate that everything that references the "old" level should now reference the "new, non-plan" level instead?

Dimitri Harvalias
2004-01-09, 10:31 AM
No need to change any references. If you delete all plan views associated with a level it will retain the level annotation without the plans. Try it in an elevation view and you will see that the elevation target changes to black indicating no associated plan view.
Be sure to delete the reflected ceiling plans that Revit created as well.
If you have a lot of levels in the project and have worksets enabled I would suggest you put the ones used for reference only onto a separate workset. It makes controlling their visibility a lot easier than using the 'hide annotation in view' option.

David
2004-01-09, 06:28 PM
Is there a way to re-associate a plan with a level? After starting the project, the main floor plan became Existing Main Floor. Now I would like the level to associate to New Main Floor.

PeterJ
2004-01-09, 08:24 PM
View>New>Plan then pick from the list of levels you are offered.

David
2004-01-10, 12:45 AM
Thank you Pete

studio3p
2004-01-10, 05:05 AM
No need to change any references. If you delete all plan views associated with a level it will retain the level annotation without the plans.

Genius. It's things like this that make me want to punch myself for having ever used anything but Revit.

ita
2004-01-10, 05:49 AM
It moments like these - thankyou guys.

I have just learnt something that I had no idea existed in Revit. The joy of this site is that people take time to explain.

Thanks guys.

BTW - "where is beegee?" - the silence is deafening!! :wink:

Roger Evans
2004-01-10, 02:32 PM
It is High Summer down there

He's probably just melted

Roger

Archman
2004-01-10, 03:17 PM
Great tips!! Thanks a lot guys.

Since our office is also fairly new to Revit, we created many, many levels at the beginning of our project. After learning more and more about the software we realized that we could have just used reference planes instead of levels. My question is, if you delete a level marker, will it delete all elements associated with that level? I've wondered this for a while, but have not been gutsy enough (really haven't had the time) to try it.

studio3p
2004-01-10, 03:43 PM
Archman -

Before I posted my question to begin this thread I tried just that - I deleted a level marker, and ... poof! there went everything with it. I received a warning about what I was doing, and I promptly cancelled that operation. From this point forward I plan to do a SaveAs prior to attempting something of this sort. I'm very happy though that Revit warned me that what I was asking it to do may not be so wise.

Steve_Stafford
2004-01-10, 03:49 PM
BeeGee is Walkabout...he'll be back soon unless he finds something more interesting to do?