PDA

View Full Version : Discreet Materials Visibility Setting

narlee
2005-06-10, 02:12 PM
Fancy way of saying:

When you have to objects intersect, unless you go back into one and "cut it flush" with a void (if that's the neccessary move), they don't show as discreet objects in that one "dies" into the other without that intersecting line. In "shading with edges," which my preferred colored-view, it isn't clean.

So...that's a long way of asking, is there a setting that puts that line in without having to go thru that?. Also, for you purists out there, there are cases where the real geometry overlaps, but you still want to see that line.

SkiSouth
2005-06-10, 02:17 PM
Depends on the objects (if Revit will allow the join), but join geometry will add the line your after.(Define your object with materials before joining). Simply use tools-> join geometry, and select the intersecting geometry. A line will appear at the joint of the objects. I use this for example, when I add a small roof over a gable detail (traditional architecture) where the roofing meets the trim.

narlee
2005-06-10, 02:35 PM
Yeah. Me, too. But I've noticed that if you have, for instance, two in-place families, you can't join their geometry.

SkiSouth
2005-06-10, 02:45 PM
Yeah. Me, too. But I've noticed that if you have, for instance, two in-place families, you can't join their geometry.

Not sure, but see if changing the category of one of the objects in the inplace family will let you do it. Like I said ( and I have experienced) IF Revit will allow the join....If not you have a challenge. Another possibility - again untested - is to place both objects in the same inplace family the use join geometry- I usually don't have issues with join geometry in the same family.

narlee
2005-06-10, 05:43 PM
Skisouth,

Right about they must be in the same in-place family. Otherwise, it doesn't help that they're of the same category. Thanks.