PDA

View Full Version : Stair Landings

ryan.87191
2005-06-10, 03:39 PM
I am creating a stair case. it is supposed to be a sort of sculptural element in an Entry/Foyer. It is modern and clean. It has a single steel stringer doun the center of each run. What I want to do is have the top and middle landings be apart of the stair sytem. The problem I'm having is... Right now the middle landing is steped. To simplify the structure I want to remove that step and make it one level. This should increase each riser height by a fraction of an inch. Whats happening though is the top landing wants to drop below the finsh floor level of the upper floor. Can someone help me understand this problem and help me fix it.

cosmickingpin
2005-06-10, 04:18 PM
Give us some screen captures or post the file. That description is tough for me to follow. The stair should not have a tread at the top floor level, wouldn't your stringers be supported by the structure above? Like I said I am a little confused by your description. So you are removing one riser and spreading the distance out to the remaining, well the porblem is going to be your stair calculation settings, you may need to adjust your max riser height, you may have to tweak your stair calculation settings, that will allow you to overide the general setting of your paticular stair.

I am creating a stair case. it is supposed to be a sort of sculptural element in an Entry/Foyer. It is modern and clean. It has a single steel stringer doun the center of each run. What I want to do is have the top and middle landings be apart of the stair sytem. The problem I'm having is... Right now the middle landing is steped. To simplify the structure I want to remove that step and make it one level. This should increase each riser height by a fraction of an inch. Whats happening though is the top landing wants to drop below the finsh floor level of the upper floor. Can someone help me understand this problem and help me fix it.

ryan.87191
2005-06-10, 04:23 PM
I was actually working on that when I recieved your reply. I hope these help.

cosmickingpin
2005-06-10, 04:38 PM
Ok I see what you mean, well we have a couple of options. The problem is that revit is thinking that you big step on top is a step. There is a quick fix and there is a complicated one (couple of those actually) First the easy, set your top of stair evelation above your finish floor elevation and your top step will match your finish floor plan, it will take some fooling with to get it just right because as you reset that desitnation above the floor revit will compensate, cut a section and play with it for a few minutes. Now the long fixes.
So the stringers get attached not to the floor structure, rather flatten out and the top big step is apart of the stair structure.
1. split the stair and the top step into two separate elements and use component or some other element to represent it, you might not need to split it into two to do this but be ready to if you get some stair boundry errors.
2. I am not sure if it would help now but you may be able to tweak your stair calculations to fix the problem, but I am not so sure about this anymore.
3. not use the stair tool but model in place a stair family (last resort).

Double check your Max riser height setting, you may be asking too much be eliminating a whole riser here, you may need to add it in the bottom run.

That's all I got.

I was actually working on that when I recieved your reply. I hope these help.

ryan.87191
2005-06-10, 05:30 PM
Thanks for your help. I tried what you said "set your top of stair evelation above your finish floor elevation". But no matter how much I changed my top offset it didn't work. I kept fooling around with the settings though. I changed the number of desired risers and it did the trick. I could have swarn I tried that yesterday but oh well. It works now.

Thanks again for your help.

cosmickingpin
2005-06-10, 05:51 PM
Ah... Yes "desired number of risers", I forgot about that, I thought it was a setting you could play with. Good job figuring that one out!

Thanks for your help. I tried what you said "set your top of stair evelation above your finish floor elevation". But no matter how much I changed my top offset it didn't work. I kept fooling around with the settings though. I changed the number of desired risers and it did the trick. I could have swarn I tried that yesterday but oh well. It works now.

Thanks again for your help.

patricks
2005-06-10, 08:18 PM
What you needed to do was change the setting in the stair properties about whether or not you want to end the stair with a riser. What you wanted was a tread at the top of the run, not a riser, which is default.

cosmickingpin
2005-06-10, 08:43 PM
His stair was ending with a tread (from the screen angle I saw), which is what he wanted, the problem was the number of risers, which is why the problem showed up when he deleted a riser, and why it was fixed when he edited the desired number of risers. But you make a good point nontheless.

What you needed to do was change the setting in the stair properties about whether or not you want to end the stair with a riser. What you wanted was a tread at the top of the run, not a riser, which is default.