PDA

View Full Version : Elevation Line Weights

m_r_meza
2005-06-10, 09:45 PM
Is there a function in Revit which applies line weights to elevations or is this a job for the "linework tool"? Right now my elevations look very flat.

FK
2005-06-10, 10:19 PM
I suppose you want to "punch out" the elevation. That's somewhat automated by the Silhoutette Edges in Advanced Model Graphics of View Properties (also accessible under one of the little buttons at the bottom of the view). Override silhouettes with a bold line style, and then get rid of the ones you did not want punched out with the <Not Silhouette> style of the linework tool.

iru69
2005-06-10, 10:36 PM
It doesn't hurt to bring this topic up again, but it's been discussed many times before - try a forum search. Here's a recent thread that might shed a little light as well:
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=18422&highlight=line+weight+work

Jit
2005-06-10, 11:21 PM
I have a reply following my support log to the support centre and they have said that it will be included in the next major release. i.e. elevation and section subdivisions similar to ADT

archjake
2005-06-11, 04:47 PM
I suppose you want to "punch out" the elevation. That's somewhat automated by the Silhoutette Edges in Advanced Model Graphics of View Properties (also accessible under one of the little buttons at the bottom of the view). Override silhouettes with a bold line style, and then get rid of the ones you did not want punched out with the <Not Silhouette> style of the linework tool.
FK,

I've been down the road you describe, and I'm not happy with the results. If you have a lot of openings, reveals, etc. there is a lot more linework to deal with than if you just used the linework tool where you want to profile the building.

If you use the shilhoutette tool and something changes. ie: a wall join, some of the reveals are guaranteed to loose their <not silhouette> setting. Therefore each and every time you make a modification, or go to print your elevations you have to double check that all the linework is as you want. Second, Revit 8 will only print views that are using the silhouette function in raster. All of the above is not acceptable to me. Using the linework tool can be better for a complex facade. Less issues!

I hope that the development team is working on fix or tool for this very important issue. Its part of our design communication.

SCShell
2005-06-12, 12:30 PM
I hope that the development team is working on fix or tool for this very important issue. Its part of our design communication.
Hey there,
Put me down for that one too!
Steve

FK
2005-06-14, 12:53 AM
The next release will see a couple of improvements (linework will try not to disappear on you :-) ).

aaronrumple
2005-06-14, 01:38 AM
I have a reply following my support log to the support centre and they have said that it will be included in the next major release. i.e. elevation and section subdivisions similar to ADT
No!!! Arrrrgh!!! ADT sections are un-teachable.

Jit
2005-06-14, 03:41 AM
all jokes aside, ADT sections did produce great linework, I do share your frustration though.

abd
2005-08-13, 01:56 PM
Is there any news about whether the new 8.1 version has the discussed line weight dynamics capabilities for elevations included?
It was discussed about the elevations being able to judge the depths of the building elements based on adjustable depth fields.
The closer the parts of the building the thicker the lines used.

david.kingham
2005-08-15, 01:13 AM
It's not in 8.1

rjjlee
2006-05-18, 01:44 AM
Any advances on this issue?

JTF
2006-05-18, 03:41 AM
I find that applying a proper category or sub-category to an object and controlling the projection of lineweights for objects works just fine.

The only thing I would like to see is a separate visibility control for when a window or door is inserted in a wall and have control of the projection lineweight for the wall opening at the door or window insertion.

Right now if you apply a heavy projection for walls, all openings created by windows and doors take on the same projection weight.

dbaldacchino
2006-05-23, 07:17 PM
Yeah, unfortunately you cannot create subcategories for everything :mad:

I'm frustrated that for instance, a wall sweep assumes the same line weight as a wall in projection (elevation) and you cannot assign a subcategory to a wall sweep defined in a wall style (unless I'm missing something). When do we ever want to see sweeps with the same linewight as a projected wall? Even the silhouette override does the same thing. I have several bands of accent brick all around a large building and it's very tedious and time consuming to get the elevations to display right. I'm almost to the point where I'll leave everything on walls as thin lines and just change the linework on the masses to make them stand out with heavy lines. A fix for this is way overdue in my opinion as this is a huge productivity drain.