PDA

View Full Version : Can I Modify Curtain System by Face (HELP)

artitech
2005-06-13, 09:12 PM
I am in a bind here.... I had a ton of help from this newsgroup earlier to get these "boat forms" modelled and into my building model. I applied curtain system by face to get the enclosing curtain wall system and now I need to remove protions of the curtain wall where these forms end up inside the building and below the intersecting roof lines.

The curtain wall needs to remain above the intersecting roof levels as well.... to close in the space.

How can I achieve this without having to redo all my work thus far?

I'm attaching some images to show the amount of detail that has already gone into it (the reason I would prefer not to start over...) The arrows point to the intersecting wall and roof where I want to remove the curtain wall inside this area....???

DanielleAnderson
2005-06-13, 09:16 PM
If I understand you right, you want to remove panels of your curtain wall?
In that case, you can use your tab key to highlight just the individual panel and then change the panel type to "empty". The other helpful thing to know is that if you click on a curtain grid line, you can remove individual segments without removing the whole grid line, this may also help you to accomplish your goal.

goodpeace
2005-06-13, 10:26 PM
Just cut the massing with "Void" and hit "Remake".

patricks
2005-06-13, 10:31 PM
Can you not edit the profile of curtain walls created by face? I've never tried it. Unfortunately my firm doesn't really get to do anything that extravagant around here. :(

Dimitri Harvalias
2005-06-13, 10:31 PM
You can also try creating another mass object (void or solid) that will follow the profile of the roof line at the lower level. Then join the masses and the exterior wall will only be applied to the exterior face of the higher mass.

artitech
2005-06-14, 12:05 AM
These are all good suggestions, thanks.

(1) I did know about the "empty" panel and deleting portions of mullions, however:

When I get to the end of my curtain wall, it won't let me make the last panels at the outer edge "empty" for some reason....is there some rule in the program that won't let the start or end points of a curtain wall be left empty?

(2) You can't edit the profile of a curtain wall applied by face, as far as I can see. It's unfortunate - that would have been my simplest route to take...

(3) Adding a solid void is an option I was trying to avoid as well, becuase it's tough to get my shape I need...but I'll have to give it a try.

I really would like to know if there is a way to make all the panels on a curtain wall "empty" or if you are stuck keeping some as panels....

Thanks.

Dimitri Harvalias
2005-06-14, 02:19 AM
These are all good suggestions, thanks.

(1) I did know about the "empty" panel and deleting portions of mullions, however:

When I get to the end of my curtain wall, it won't let me make the last panels at the outer edge "empty" for some reason....is there some rule in the program that won't let the start or end points of a curtain wall be left empty?.
I can't duplicate that problem. Are you selecting by windowing the system and then filtering or just picking them one at a time?

(2) You can't edit the profile of a curtain wall applied by face, as far as I can see. It's unfortunate - that would have been my simplest route to take...
.Actually you can, by creating the curtain system as a 'wall by face' and selecting a curtain wall type. Two problems with that... it will only work on a planar surface (ie, not on a curved wall face, unless you use th eopening tool which is tough with complex shapes off the grid) and once you attempt to remake the wall the edits will be lost. Not too useful.

(3) Adding a solid void is an option I was trying to avoid as well, becuase it's tough to get my shape I need...but I'll have to give it a try..Keep in mind that if the roof is already there you can use it to 'pick' the lines to create the profile for the mass you need

artitech
2005-06-14, 04:25 AM
I can't duplicate that problem. Are you selecting by windowing the system and then filtering or just picking them one at a time?

When I try this in my project, I get the following error message:
"Can't make type M_Empty Panel"
and all I can do is either delete type or cancel.....???

Actually you can, by creating the curtain system as a 'wall by face' and selecting a curtain wall type. Two problems with that... it will only work on a planar surface (ie, not on a curved wall face, unless you use th eopening tool which is tough with complex shapes off the grid) and once you attempt to remake the wall the edits will be lost. Not too useful.

I tried this "wall by face" and it wouldn't select the face of my solid mass. Should I be able to select a face of a mass and apply a "wall by face"?

Keep in mind that if the roof is already there you can use it to 'pick' the lines to create the profile for the mass you need

.... depending on the feedback I get to my replies above, maybe this will be the way to go....

Thanks.

goodpeace
2005-06-14, 12:25 PM
It's not tough to get your shape. These images took me 5 minutes (much more time for screen shot).

artitech
2005-06-14, 01:19 PM
I see the curtain system applied to the massing can be played with by using voids. I think this is the route I need to go.

A few things I've learned.... when you apply a curtain system by face to a solid mass, you cannot edit it's profile and you cannot make the end panels "empty"... at least not on the shape of the mass that I am working with. I tried the same on a straight run of curtain wall and yes, you can make the end panels empty.

I also tried a "wall by face" on a new mass extrusion and used the curtain wall system. I was able to change the end panels to "empty.... and then I made a mass from a "blend" that had aloped ends (like my model) and I could not apply a "wall by face" to it... it would not allow me to select it.

Is there a trick to doing this with solid-blends?

artitech
2005-06-14, 01:24 PM
..yet another lesson learned....

I also was able to edit the profile of the curtain wall when it was applied to an "extruded-mass"....

The problem, it would appear, is with the "solid-blend" massing forms.

Is there a reason why it won't work on these types of forms? Is it because the vertical is not true (90 degrees)?