PDA

View Full Version : database interface

nrenfro
2004-01-11, 03:11 AM
I think that I need to get it to some database work which I have no experience (yet). I am going to list a few of the things that I would like to get from my Revit models.

1) The ability it export to a spreadsheet format without exporting to a text file and importing into a spreadsheet (time saver over time)
2)The ability to calculate the total area of windows and doors on exterior walls (energy calc stuff)
3)Again the ability to figure out the area of windows and doors to add back into the wall area for drywall takoffs.
4)Extract the assembly of host elements such as walls and roofs.

Currently I am focusing on residential projects in Revit. Due to the regional nature of residential construction project estimation based on methods such as Rsmeans is not effective. I would like to extract information from the Revit Model that can be used to create a preliminary bid packet rather simply. This would allow me to get a handle on the numbers from “local experts” which in-turn would allow me more control over the project. In the end it's all about money.

beegee
2004-01-11, 04:15 AM
Did you read THIS THREAD ? (www.zoogdesign.com/forums/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2103&highlight=)

It has some interesting material about ODBC possibilities.

nrenfro
2004-01-11, 05:06 PM
Yes, that thread was very interesting, and I was excited to see some recent discussion on exporting to ODBC. I have heard talk about the power this feature, but not to much on how people are using it. I think that much of what I am trying to do will be internalized into Revit over time to eliminate the need it Synchronize data between the different programs.

David Conant
2004-01-12, 04:38 PM
You can set up ODBC export to export directly into .xls format. It will export the entire project into a workbook with many sheets. There may be more data here than you need and it is not set up as your schedules are since it is a full export of the project.
When performing the export, set you machine data source to the Excel driver. Subsequent exports will update the Revit derived portions of the Excel file.