PDA

View Full Version : Design Options Help

rodneyf
2005-06-14, 07:54 PM
We have a two-story duplex project and each unit can have 2 additional optional garage layouts to them. Also note that this project is currently setup with the "A" Unit & "B" Unit together however it can and will have a "A" Unit & "A" Unit layout and a "B" Unit & "B" Unit layout with this options. So my question is how would you setup the options? I have done all the tutorials, classes, and books but I just can't get my head around this feature. See attached image of the current plan with sketched dashed lines showing option locations.

Edit: Corrected image

Thanks in Advance,

christopher.zoog51272
2005-06-15, 12:48 AM
Rodney,

I've got some thoughts on this....I have a post half typed up at the office, I'll get back to you tomorrow sometime.

-Z

irwin
2005-06-15, 01:00 AM
Rodney, if you haven't already you might take a look at this thread: http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=18766. It includes some philosophy for setting up option sets.

rodneyf
2005-06-15, 11:09 AM
Thanks Chris I look forward to hearing from you later. Thanks Irwin I did read that message and I also printed it out but I must be missing something because it just is not sinking into my thick head. I think I would be able to get it if the couple of people in my office that are using the design option feature would just stop a minute and think about how this tool should be used and revisit their procedures.

Thanks again,

SCShell
2005-06-15, 02:34 PM
Hey there,

Design options are very powerfull and usefull; however, don't feel bad if you can't get your head around them the first time! I'm blonde. It took me a while. But, it was worth it!!
Try learning how to use them on a very simple option. Maybe a couple of walls and a door. The concepts will "sink in" and then you can apply this new understanding to the actual project you describe.

I use options a lot. Not only for design, but for CD's. I show all of my "add" and
"deduct" alternates as options. They are great!

Good luck! (Primary Option)
Hang in there (Option 1)
Don't give up (Option 2)
Steve

irwin
2005-06-16, 01:40 PM
Rodney, if I understand your picture then I'd make a single Option Set, Garages, with the following Options: (names assume that the right side of the drawing is East)

Garages Option Set:
- No garages
- B East, no A
- B South, no A
- B South, A South
- A South, no B

Regarding having two A units or two B units, I'm not sure how you'd do that. I'd look into using linked files.

rodneyf
2005-06-16, 02:20 PM
Irwin Thanks for your reply and I wil try your method and get back to you as soon as possible. On a side not I want to say THANK YOU to all that has helped me in the past and I will be starting to pass along the help in the very near future. This forum kicks a**!!!!!!