PDA

View Full Version : Model text on curved wall

mmolina
2005-06-14, 08:16 PM
This is'nt a big deal. I just thought it would
be cool if you could put model text on a curved wall.

Any ideas?

cosmickingpin
2005-06-14, 09:24 PM
A couple of options:
1.model each letter as single model text (with each letter with its own reference plane)-left that part out-, then move and rotate each into a curved configuration around your wall.
2. model an extrusion of your text (trace 2d text in the elevation view), then model voids to cut out your curved text in plan. You could (should) do this as a family with parameters for the diameter of your curve, unless you are doing an irregular curve or spline, then you perhaps should do it inplace as it will be kinda hard to keep the shapes straight.
3. Import the model text from another program like viz or max.
4. Make you text (again trace 2d text) out of blends (two separate sizes to get an effect of increasing in size front to back or side to side). and then use voids to get what ever curve you want in plan. By doing this you will be able to approxmiate any "morph" viz or max effect.

Any ideas?

Damo
2005-06-14, 10:23 PM

Any ideas?Take a look at these posts for some hints. Have you tried this on a curved wall? You will need to create several reference planes to achieve your goal.

Let us know if it works for you.

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=12308&highlight=letters
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=11646&highlight=curved+reference+planes

sbrown
2005-06-15, 01:46 PM
The easiest way I have come up with is a generic model family with a single letter of model text in the family. then an instance parameter for the letter that is the letter value. load this, array it, them pick each one and change the value. see the attached file for an example.

Scott D Davis
2005-06-15, 02:26 PM
then model voids to cut out your curved text in plan.
Unfourtunately, you can't cut model text with voids.

cosmickingpin
2005-06-15, 03:11 PM
No I did not mean "model text" rather regular extrusions (or blends for a morph effect) traced from 2d text in the perpendicullar elevation. Those you can cut with voids. If done with loaded familes I think you would end up lessening any performance related issue.

Unfourtunately, you can't cut model text with voids.