PDA

View Full Version : 3D Objects

MartyC
2004-01-11, 04:39 PM
Hey folks

Can anyone gelp me? Have been searching for 3D models for conversion to include in renderings, (cars etc.) and have found an abundance of very good (and free) models in 3DS and .lwo format. Can either or both of these formats be successfully converted to a Revit compatible format, and if so, how?

It's like the cookie jar is just out of reach........

Thanks

Cheers M

beegee
2004-01-11, 11:18 PM
There are conversion programes available to convert 3ds to dxf/dwg, ( not freeware as I recall ). A google search will turn up a lot.

The easiest way is to use 3D Studio Max to export to DWG/DXF ( by layer or material ) then import into a revit family. ( I havn't tried it but it should work )

If you want to try the latter route, give me the link or email a suitable 3ds model to me and I'll give it a burl.

hand471037
2004-01-12, 12:41 AM
There are several 3DS to DXF/DWG file converters. Come even let you preview the item in 3D, and control materials and such.

You can also import 3DS into AutoCAD, and then save that out as a DWG for importing into Revit. Just type '3dsin'. I do this all the time. Just import the item into a new blank family, and you can even use it just like a 'native' Revit object and have it schedule, turn on/off, and even get cut by section lines and such...

MartyC
2004-01-12, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the response guys.

Firstly, in a previous life I was a lowly AutoCad LT2002 user, LT doesnt seem to recognise 3DS files, so needed some other method of conversion.

This is what I have done, found a freeware (beta, and a little old) prog called 'crossroads' that works a treat in converting 3DS to .dxf (or most other things) only problem is needing to identify every bit of mesh and apply a layer/colour before importing to Revit and applying materials. Hey, free models, so a bit of work is ok.

For anyone interested in crossroads http://www.europa.com/~keithr/ (hope he doesnt mind me posting, but ta anyway)

LWO files appear to be a bit more of a problem, but will keep looking for solution. If any one has a short-cut, it would be appreciated.

Cheers M