PDA

View Full Version : Re-naming of blocks

peter.woodcock
2005-06-15, 09:38 AM
I work for Architects and am creating a drawing with various blocks for doors, windows etc which are created once and copied throughout the drawing.
These blocks have re-named themselves overnight somehow with the extension of 'flat-1'. For example a door originally named 'door-1010-140' has been renamed 'door-1010-140-flat-1'. If the block has been copied a number of times, then the block number changes eg. 'door-1010-140-flat-2', 'door-1010-140-flat-3' etc.
Is this a corrupt file or is there a system variable that needs looking at?

JASONM30395
2005-06-15, 10:36 AM
ADT or Vannilla ACAD and what ver.? Are you using dynamic blocks?

peter.woodcock
2005-06-15, 12:36 PM
No idea, what's a dynamic block? Can't find it in AutoCAD help.

The blocks are unique to the file that they're in, I just came in this morning, and each block within the drawing (wether inserted or copied) had been given its own individual block name.

Wanderer
2005-06-15, 12:54 PM
No idea, what's a dynamic block? Can't find it in AutoCAD help.

The blocks are unique to the file that they're in, I just came in this morning, and each block within the drawing (wether inserted or copied) had been given its own individual block name.
dynamic blocks were implemented in version 2006.

which are you working on, and which are your contractors?

peter.woodcock
2005-06-15, 12:59 PM
I'm working on version 2005 (full)

peter.woodcock
2005-06-21, 08:21 AM
I have found out what is happening, apparently these extensions to block names appear when using the express command Flatten. Its a useful command but this is its downfall.

CADKitty
2005-06-21, 01:15 PM
I have found out what is happening, apparently these extensions to block names appear when using the express command Flatten. Its a useful command but this is its downfall.Really? I use that all the time in vanilla AutoCAD 2004 and have never seen that happen. Weird.

The two fixes for your drawing that I can think of off the top of my head would be to write a little LISP routine to rename all the drawings (don't look to me for help, but I'm sure the brilliant minds of the AutoCAD Customization forum (http://forums.augi.com/forumdisplay.php?f=118)would be more than happy to assist you) or go through and rename the layers one at a time (yuck!).

Good luck!

peter.woodcock
2005-06-21, 03:01 PM
Thanks Jennifer, I have been given a LISP routine by a work colleague that works fine. Its the express tools version thats the Bad Egg.

Peter

CADKitty
2005-06-21, 04:49 PM
Thanks Jennifer, I have been given a LISP routine by a work colleague that works fine. Its the express tools version thats the Bad Egg.
:shock: That doesn't make me feel better - that's what I use! :shock:

Glad you got a quick fix!

cparvez
2005-07-12, 02:15 PM
Could you post your fix. I work in a lot of files where this happens.