PDA

View Full Version : Learning on the road

Griff
2004-01-11, 09:57 PM
This is my first project using Revit. I am at the job site getting as-built information. I am trying not to ask questions that I can search and find answers for, but right now I don't have time to do an exhaustive search. I hope this question in clear.

My question is: I have placed the exist concrete columns and now I'm drawing the existing 6" CMU walls that form the corridors. When I draw my CMU, do I draw it through the columns or up to each column? If I draw through the column the wall and column look like one object (no line separating them). If I draw them through the columns (one wall object), is there a way to have the column and wall show as separate?

Thanks for your help

LRaiz
2004-01-11, 10:23 PM
You may want to use structural columns instead of architectural columns. Architectural columns are intended to join to walls while structural would not. Do a search for "structural column" on this web side to find several discussions of this topic.

LR

loretodc1805
2004-01-11, 10:28 PM
Dave whenever I try to figure out what method I should use when creating the BIM, I simply try to figure out how the contractor would build what it is I am designing. The beauty of Revit is that after awhile you will not only approach a project as a designer but you will really start thinking of the project in terms of a contractor.

After using Revit in our office for the past three yearrs, I find that this is the closest that I will ever get to becoming a contractor on-site without the hassle and worries of unions, materials, and whatever else can hold up a job.

Typically I would draw the columns first and then draw the walls to the column. If the column is a thinner thickness than the wall, I would then infill the difference with a thinner CMU wall.

I hope this helps

Paul F. Loreto, Architect, AAC

Griff
2004-01-11, 11:11 PM
Thanks for the help. I'm honered to have the founder of the product answer my question and give me another option. I'm new enough to Revit that I didn't even know there was a differance between Architectural columns and Structural columns. I guess I must have been using Arch. columns since they were merging witht the walls. I'll do the search and see what I can find. Thanks

Thanks also to Paul, It's nice to know how users use the product. That makes since to draw the BIM like it would be built. By the way, I really enjoyed your class at AU. I liked how you were willing to stay as late as needed to answer all our questions.