PDA

View Full Version : dimensioning top of railing

ann29
2005-06-15, 04:26 PM
I need to dimension my railing in elevation, but the dimension will not go to the top of the guard or handrail. That seems like such a basic thing - what am I doing wrong?

patricks
2005-06-15, 04:38 PM
I just dimensioned a handrail not even 10 minutes ago, and dimensioned to the top of each rail, but it was in section.

Can you see the end of the railing in your elevation? You might try to see if the leader line will snap to the top of the rail near the end.

If all else fails, place a tiny line of weight 1 at the top of the railing, and dimension to that.

ann29
2005-06-15, 04:59 PM
I ended up placing a small detail line on top to get my dimension. Even in section it won't take. I am wondering if the reason is that I have a round profile for the rail? It still should work.

patricks
2005-06-15, 05:22 PM
I ended up placing a small detail line on top to get my dimension. Even in section it won't take. I am wondering if the reason is that I have a round profile for the rail? It still should work.

I was dimensioning round rails in sections.

When I pulled the dimension line, the top half of the rail section pre-highlighted, but it actually dimensioned to the top-most point on the rail.

Paul Monsef
2005-06-15, 06:56 PM
FYI: I have also run into this before and ended up placing detail lines as well. :o(