PDA

View Full Version : What's going on with my ballusters?

patricks
2005-06-15, 04:44 PM
I created a C-channel railing profile and used that for my stringers on a set of steel stairs. I also placed a handrail, with the stair set as the host, but I placed the balusters on top of the stringer, since that is how it will be built. The problem is that the bottom of each baluster cuts off flat and goes through the C-channel flange, instead of following the slope of the stair and stringer. Is there any way to make it work correctly?

bowlingbrad
2005-06-15, 05:02 PM
It must be an issue with your baluster family. The attached pic is from the Revit standard round baluster. You can see that the baluster is cut (by a void) to align with the slope. HTH.

patricks
2005-06-15, 05:23 PM
I am using the standard round baluster family. :confused:

I would not think that the fact that it's not sitting on the actual default stair stringer would cause it to do this, would it?

bowlingbrad
2005-06-15, 08:50 PM
You're right. Balusters do not retain the angle of the stringer if the stringer is set to 'Open' or 'None'. Hey Factory, what seems to be the difference between open and none? Nothing happens to my stair or balusters when I modify this.

Damo
2005-06-15, 10:05 PM
Hey Factory, what seems to be the difference between open and none? Nothing happens to my stair or balusters when I modify this.The default Revit Stringer is 'Closed', where the top surface of the Stringer is parallel with the bottom face, ie: both top and bottom surfaces of the Stringer follows the stairs pitch.

With 'Open' Stringer, the top face of the Stringer is cut to the underside of the Threads,ie: it is stepped.

With 'None' as the parameter, there is no Stringer.

patricks
2005-06-15, 11:07 PM
Brad, you're saying that the balusters you have created are cut to follow the stair slope, no matter if the stringers are there or not, correct? Yet the default balusters cut flat if the stringer is not there... wierd.

bowlingbrad
2005-06-16, 12:06 PM
Brad, you're saying that the balusters you have created are cut to follow the stair slope, no matter if the stringers are there or not, correct? Yet the default balusters cut flat if the stringer is not there... wierd.

Nope, I'm saying that you're right. The balusters only cut when the stringer is set to 'Closed'. I think this is a wishlist item (if it isn't already).

patricks
2005-06-16, 01:44 PM
oh... well durn it... maybe I could set the default stringers back to closed, and then turn them off (just the stringers) in all views where they would be seen?

Shaun v Rooyen
2005-06-17, 08:16 AM
Patrick I did a similar railing detail, the workaround I used was to create a bottom rail, flat bar profile that fitted within the top of the C-Channel.

patricks
2005-06-17, 12:51 PM
oh neat, I might try that if I have time (but at this point I probably won't have time :( ).